Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2010 10:00

my computer won't boot properly

i'm having a problem with my computer asking me for a "system password" when i boot. can anybody help me?

39 Posts

February 16th, 2010 11:00

It sounds like someone put a password on the computer BIOS.  If you have a desktop PC you need to go inside and either use the cmos jumper connection to reser the BIOS or just pull out the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes to clear the settings.  The battery looks like a watch battery but is the size of a nickel.

If it is a notebok you need to do the same but I don't know how.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2010 11:00

what happened was, i had gone into the setup and put in an administrator password for it to use. and i would enter that in every time it prompted me for the password. then i went back and removed that password, so now every time i boot the computer, it asks me for the same thing, and nothing i enter in seems to work

288 Posts

February 16th, 2010 12:00

Most dell desktops have a password reset jumper. Check your manual or view the manual online for its location. Clearing the bios will not clear the bios password as far as I know. Good Luck.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2010 10:00

thank you for responding to my post. i did what you said, and thanks to you, my computer is working just fine. i really appreciate the help.

No Events found!