Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 4th, 2003 04:00

my dell computer is funning really slow what can i do to make it faster im new at this computer stuff and know nuffen about it so please make it as simpile as u can

117 Posts

March 4th, 2003 12:00

Here are some simple tips.

Defragment your hard drive often - The Disk Defragmenter can be launched if you open My Computer, right click on your C: drive, select Properties, then go to the Tools tab. Select your hard drive and click Defragment. It might take a while to do, but you can use your PC when it is running.. it will just run slow until the defragment completes.

Download Adaware 6.0 - http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ has Adaware, which will scan your computer for programs running in the background that monitor your internet surfing. These kinds of programs can slow down your PC.

I can go into more detail about how to turn off unnecessary Services or remove programs from your startup configuration (namely some  useless Dell-provided apps), but you should try the first two things listed above first.

515 Posts

March 5th, 2003 19:00

Munkwho

See this: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/help_faq#post

It came fom this: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/help_faq

Then post back with some info and someone probably can get you going.

John

64 Posts

March 7th, 2003 12:00

Munkwho,

If you follow Caredywn's advice on Disk Scan and Defragmenter and spyware/adware protection and do these things weekly, you should not run into some of the problems that others experience by letting these important functions go unperformed for weeks.

If you have something like Norton's SystemWorks, you can perform the disk scanning and defragmenting on a daily basis and keep your machine running at top-notch performance.

Inaddition to what Caredywn wrote, you will find the elimination of superfluous start-up programs important. You will find this link (and its internal links) noteworthy. Since the advice and directions are helpful, you may find the URL worth saving.

I would add to Caredywn's remarks:
  1. Research how to access your "System Information Tools" (Start|Run type msinfo32) and use them frequently.
  2. Use the Microsoft Start|Help for reading material and always use the radiobutton "Help" for deeper insight.
  3. Run System File Checker bi-monthly after you have learned how to use it and what it can do for you. DO NOT tamper with it until you have a complete understanding of how it can hurt you as well as help you.
  4. Immediately learn what scanreg /restore means, and how it can save you in a pinch.
  5. Finally, run the Internet Explorer Repair Tool periodically.

If you keep track of all of these functions, then you should have your machine running smoothly always.

I see that you are a new member of Delltalk. Inaddition to llbandit's excellent links, you will find this link to Denny Denham's "Delltalk for Newbies" tutorial worth bookmarking.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2003 15:00

now i can wright in the body part   ok    my computer is running ok but it slow when i am downloading any thing verry slow     and all so i would like to know how to watch movies on here in fuul screen with out it being all fuzzy and cutting out    thank u all for tryinh to help me out    oh yea and the 6.0 thing is a great thing to have thank's alot people    becouse i don't know much about a computer   i have a dell  dem  4100 i think  i just got it not to long ago windows me   if u need to know more about it please tell me where i can  go to find it  thank's agen  munk

4 Posts

March 11th, 2003 17:00

2 Posts

March 25th, 2017 09:00

If you are not a starter with computer stuffs and even your computer is not too new then you maybe facing this problem of Slow computer speed. So here is the article for this so you can solve this issue

youprogrammer.com/.../

Best c++ ide

youprogrammer.com/.../

window problem

youprogrammer.com/.../

Facebook Trick

youprogrammer.com/.../

No Events found!