Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2013 12:00

new mainboard for dell dimension 4600

I need to replace a blown mainboard on a dell dimension 4600. I was wondering what boards would fit into the case? (The power supply is still good.)

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 15th, 2013 12:00

Any standard mATX board will fit, but there's the issue of the front panel cable reach. There are two ways around this: use a cable extender or replace the power switch and HD activity LED with aftermarket units.

Aftermarket front panel power switch and LEDs

Note that the front audio port connector is of the Soundblaster type and must be rewired to support a standard 2x5 audio socket. Also, the USB cable has a ninth, non-standard lead that should be removed.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 15th, 2013 13:00

A non-Dell Micro-ATX motherboard would require case modification to the rear panel.
The Dimension 3000 shares the same case as the 4600, and I've installed several different aftermarket motherboards in mine. Absolutely no modifications to the chassis itself are required.

You probably will need to rewire the front panel connections to the motherboard, also, purchase a new heatsink, the Dell 4600 default unit is proprietary, RAM [4600 has DDR] and a processor, the Dell motherboard has a Socket 478.

The $1 replacement front panel parts will replace the OEM unit, which has a regrettably short cable terminating in a standard 2x5 Molex socket. The USB connector has a standard 2x5 Molex socket with a reasonably long cable that should reach, but it has a ninth, non-standard lead that should be removed. The audio connector does require rewiring to work with a standard 2x5 Molex audio header, but the port itself is fully compatible.

I suggest a budget motherboard like this (which offers USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0). Of course, a new CPU and memory will be required, but the result will be Windows 8-compatible at a significantly lower price than a pre-built. It's true a good used 4600 motherboard would be cheaper, but it won't be future-proofed.

Regarding the power supply, I think the power supply does have the four-pin connector needed for modern motherboards. I think that was introduced with the Pentium 4.

BTW the motherboard I linked to has a $20 mail-in rebate offer that brings the price with shipping down to $40 or so.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 15th, 2013 13:00

cisz

Micro ATX motherboards.

You will need to replace the power supply, the newer retail motherboards require a 24-pin main power connector, the Dimension 4600 default PSU has a 20-pin connector.

A non-Dell Micro-ATX motherboard would require case modification to the rear panel.

You probably will need to rewire the front panel connections to the motherboard, also, purchase a new heatsink, the Dell 4600 default unit is proprietary, RAM [4600 has DDR] and a processor, the Dell motherboard has a Socket 478.

It would be more cost effective to install another Dell OEM Dimension 4600 motherboard:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dell-dimension-4600-motherboard

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 15th, 2013 14:00

I confess not to having tried an old power supply with a new motherboard. :) All my builds have had new ones; the 3000 (which sports an ASRock AM3+ has an OCZ Fatality if I remember correctly.

I'd post a picture of it, but the maximum allowable file size is 64K and it's too big.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

[quote user="shesagordie"]A non-Dell Micro-ATX motherboard would require case modification to the rear panel.

The Dimension 3000 shares the same case as the 4600, and I've installed several different aftermarket motherboards in mine. Absolutely no modifications to the chassis itself are required.

The $1 replacement front panel parts will replace the OEM unit, which has a regrettably short cable terminating in a standard 2x5 Molex socket. The USB connector has a standard 2x5 Molex socket with a reasonably long cable that should reach, but it has a ninth, non-standard lead that should be removed. The audio connector does require rewiring to work with a standard 2x5 Molex audio header, but the port itself is fully compatible.

I suggest a budget motherboard like this (which offers USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0). Of course, a new CPU and memory will be required, but the result will be Windows 8-compatible at a significantly lower price than a pre-built. It's true a good used 4600 motherboard would be cheaper, but it won't be future-proofed.

Regarding the power supply, I think the power supply does have the four-pin connector needed for modern motherboards. I think that was introduced with the Pentium 4.

BTW the motherboard I linked to has a $20 mail-in rebate offer that brings the price with shipping down to $40 or so.

[/quote]

rdunnill

Thanks for the info,. LOL :emotion-4:

Regards to the Dimension 4600 default power supply, yes, it does have a 4-pin P2 connector, but it also, has a 20-pin P1 connector, instead of the 24-pin P! connector, that's required by the newer motherboards.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Good quality power supplies are cheap enough, I suppose. I think I paid $30 for the one used in my relative's boffo 5150 upgrade.

As for XP, the OP should be reminded that support is going away in a few months, and that they are well-advised to consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows. My preference is 8.1 (cheaper and more modern than 7), but that version won't run on the 4600.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

I confess not to having tried an old power supply with a new motherboard. :)

rdunnill

I have, those old Dell 20-pin 250w PSU's just don't make the grade anymore.

Have a friend that is still using several Dimension 4600 MT's, since 2004, they have been rock solid, other than replacing hard drives and the usually software problems, I've had no issues with them.

Bev.

29 Posts

May 29th, 2014 00:00

I was thinking of getting this board for the 4600 case. Dell Connolly Intel LGA775 mATX Motherboard Pentium D CPU. It's missing a heat sink for the cpu. Don't know how difficult it would be to find a heat sink or if the one on the 4600 would fit.

Help appreciated.

39 Posts

June 7th, 2014 14:00

I installed a dimension 3000 board into a 4600 case as mentioned by rdunnill. I was surprised to find that the hard drive from the old 4600 board was able to boot with the 3000 board.

I was wondering if there are other, maybe more advanced boards, that would fit into the 4600 case? Also, is there a list somewhere showing which boards can fit into old cases? We also have an 8100 dimension that I'd like to upgrade at some point.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 7th, 2014 19:00

Any mATX board will fit into the 4600 case, but you may have to rejig the case wiring. I speak from experience, if you are wondering.

29 Posts

June 8th, 2014 23:00

One thing I was concerned about is the position of the cpu since if it isn't in the same place as the old one I'd have to get a fan that wouldn't line up with the case opening. But I leave the case side panel off anyway so I guess it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2016 16:00

I just replaced a MB in this same puter but my screen says "No signal".  The OS is not recognised nor does the BIOS show up.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 10th, 2016 12:00

Is it a 4600 motherboard?

No Events found!