Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2015 06:00

"no hard drive detected or disk controller not supported” for a Dell Inspiron One 2330

I have a Dell Inspiron One 2330 and I have owned it for 11months; 

My computer will not boot up and provides these errors after the Dell logo appears:

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

No Boot device

Start PXE over IPV4

I ran diagnostics ePSA preboot system Assessment and got this message:

No hard drive detected or disk controller not supported.

Does this mean my hard drive is corrupted or dead?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 21st, 2015 21:00

Hi hockeydeb,

The error indicates that hard drive is faulty. However I would suggest you reseat the hard drive and see if that makes a difference. In the link below punch in the system service tag or express service code and you can access the user manual for removing and reseating hard drive.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 03:00

Thank you for your help but I am not a computer expert and do not want to take my computer apart. I don't have the skills.  This computer is less than a year old; why would the hard drive be faulty?

511 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 06:00

Unfortunately hard drives are one of the most likely parts of a computer to fail. They can fail after 1 hour of use, 30 minutes of use, or 10 years of use. There is no way to tell how long they will last. What he means by "reseating the hard drive" is a very simple procedure that does not require any "expert" computer skills to perform. Follow his steps to get your user manual and go to the section where you remove and replace the hard drive.

In fact, you do not have to remove the hard drive at all, since this is a desktop. What you need to do is simply unplug the cable from the hard drive and plug it back in. Once you have done that, follow the cable back down to the motherboard, do the same, making sure to place the cable back in the same port.

Please post back here if you still are unsure of what to do or have more questions

7 Posts

when you say unplug the cable; do you mean the power cable? I can unplug that; not sure if that is what you mean. this is an all in one computer and I can't even see how to open the back of the monitor to see the hard drive

7 Posts

this is an all in one computer; everything is in the monitor; does that make a difference?

511 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 07:00

My apologies, I missed that it was an all in one computer. All in ones do require more skill to disassemble. Since this is an all in one, disregard my previous post as the information is incorrect. Getting to the hard drive on this laptop is a bit more difficult. Unfortunately if you are not comfortable taking apart the computer I cannot help at this point as it is up to Dell to send out a tech or set up a repair for an issue they're not exactly sure what the problem is. My apologies for the misreading, hopefully your problem will be resolved soon!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

As you are still under warranty, contact Dell ASAP for service.

7 Posts

thank you for your help; I have been talking to dell for the past week and apparently there is an issue with my service tag number and they refuse to honor my warranty.  all I know at this point is that before I bought and received my computer it was already apparently bought and returned to dell

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

but the computer itself comes with a one year manufactures warranty...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hard drives die.  Its not a matter of IF its a matter of when.

Some come with as little as 90 days warranty.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 09:00

If the computer had been sold before and returned, it can not be sold legally as new, but as refurbished. How do you know it was used? Did you buy it direct from the Dell Outlet store? If you purchased from a retail store, you will need to have Dell register it in your name to get warranty service. You will need proof that you indeed purchased it from the store.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 12:00

As was mentioned, if you purchased the system from a retail store, you need to register the Service Tag in your own name. And in many instances, the big box provides the warranty service.

So if you got it at a place like Best Buy or Costco, you may need to contact them.

And I sure hope all your files were backed up on external media.

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 14:00

I purchased it through Amazon from one of their vendors in the Amazon marketplace. My receipt from them says it was new. I would never buy a refurbished computer; especially not the all in one  Inspiron One 2330.

I have provided Dell with proof I purchased from Amazon.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 29th, 2015 14:00

Hi hockeydeb,

Please private message us the system service tag so that I could check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

No Events found!