Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 18th, 2000 21:00

shut down problems

Hello from Hawaii;
I received my new Dell computer last week Tuesday, after connecting and setting up my aol account (AOL 5.0) and registering with dell I decided to shut it off and I proceeded to shut it off the way I shut off all my other computers: I clicked the start button, clicked on shutdown then clicked ok at the prompt stating "do you want to shut off the computer?". The monitor went black but the computer did not shut down. I tried to push the off button on the computer which did nothing. I had to unplug the computer then replugged the computer upon which the computer rebooted and when I was able to shut down the second time i repeited the same shut down procedure. Since then the computer seems to shut down 50% of the time on the first try and the other 50% of the time I need to unplug it. Why is the computer doing this? How can I fix it? I am concerned that the constant unplugging of the computer may damage some of its registers and make me loose all info on my hard drive.

65 Posts

October 18th, 2000 22:00

Welcome to the 4100 club. It may be a long shutdown, time it and wait about 3 minutes to see if it will finally shut itself off. If you want to use the off button you must hold it in for about 5 seconds. Mine finally worked after a complete format and reinstall of everything. Good Luck!

4 Posts

October 18th, 2000 23:00

Others have had this problem. According to what I've been reading in replies from Dell through this message board, there is a problem of incompatibility between AOL 5.0 and Windows Millennium. If you notice, when you don't go into AOL, your new 4100 shuts down just fine, but when you do, it doesn't. Supposedly AOL is working on 6.0 and will correct this problem. (Evidently AOL says it's Microsoft's problem, and Microsoft says it's AOL's.)

DianeMcK

1 Message

October 19th, 2000 01:00

I am experiencing the same exact problems and have gone through all of the "proper" channels and have yet to see this problem resolved. As previously stated, each contact (AOL, Microsoft, and Dell) all claim it's the others problem. I am a first time computer owner and was under the impression that Dell would resolve all problems. Any advice?

112 Posts

October 19th, 2000 06:00

cyn wrote:

As previously
- stated, each contact (AOL, Microsoft, and Dell) all
- claim it's the others problem. I am a first time
- computer owner and was under the impression that
- Dell would resolve all problems. Any advice?

cyn,

While I can sympathize with you - it is not the responsibility of Dell to resolve conflicts with 3rd party software - especially software that is as notoriously problematic as the abominable AOL application. You will need to wait until either AOL or MS gets a patch or workaround out. (Don't hold your breath)

Satisfied Dell customer since 5-8-98 :-)

PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">

Shortcut to DellT@lk users FAQ Web Site. Will open in a new window.

F91W5 EF29F V8X2P / Krups 466c ( Tahoe Blue)

ATTENTION! Looking for the mother ship? Don't click this.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2000 03:00

Are you sure you don't work for Dell?How do you figure aol isn't Dell's problem,because it is so well
known to cause problems.Did aol hold a gun to
Michael Dell's head and force him to include a year
of aol with a Dell purchase?
When I ordered mine,I specifically asked the sales
tech if the conflicts had been resolved.He said they
definitely had,which obviously is another lie direct
from Dell.
If it wouldn't cost me $100.00 +,I'd ship this
glitch filled piece of obsolete overpriced junk back
so fast it would get there before I bought it.

3 Posts

October 22nd, 2000 06:00

My dear friends!
Dear Hamdi!
Re your questions :" How to fix the Shut Down problems, unfortunately we are not able to get any help from dell support and this is my increasing concern!!!
How come dell releases its product without testing it?
It's a nightmare!Besides that I have a whole bunch of problems ,way more serious,like "not responding stuff,error messages on a blue screen etc.
My question is:" what for we are paying our money?"
I can go and by any PC without a brand name like E-Machines twice cheaper and it works better than dell.
But here I know that no one promises me "golden mines " like 7x24x365 support!
Thanks
Boris
No Events found!