Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2008 22:00

studio xps 435MT i7, intel 920: Cpu fails Dell hardware diagnostics: Causes immediate reboot

This is about the new Dell studio xps 435MT i7 desktop (vista x64 sp1, intel 920, 435MT, with ATI Radeon 4850 512 MB): 

Can anyone confirm this issue:
     If you run the dell diagnostics by pressing F12 on boot, and boot to the Dell UTILITY partition (NOT the F12 "diagnostics test option," which runs some text screen preboot tests first), and THEN:
     Select "Custom Tests", and click the plus sign next to processor tests and then the plus sign next to the L2 Cache tests (the first set listed), and then click on the button next to "L2 Cache Walking Bit Test" to run it, that your pc reboots.

I am not sure if this is just my computer, or a general problem with the i7 cpus, or just a bug in the Dell diagnostics program (--no diagnostics for the diagnostics).  

Thanks.

P.S.  The "express test" also causes a reboot, but I don't know where.  The preboot dell diagnostics runs fine.

58 Posts

December 30th, 2008 19:00

Dell tech support advised me to run diagnostics from the Resource/Drivers CD: I can confirm that this bug does NOT appear if diagnostics is run from the CD.  It occurs only when the tests are run from the Dell utility partition (on the hard drive).

141 Posts

December 18th, 2008 07:00

LopezM,

Were you running the diagnostics to sort out some issue your having?

58 Posts

December 19th, 2008 00:00

Thanks, yes, a couple of other issues I posted about, but I think unrelated.  Are you able to duplicate this?

No Events found!