Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2008 19:00

upgrading a dell 9150 (CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM)

I have a dell dimension 9150 and i plan upgrading certain components
ill have to upgrade my RAM from 1 GB to 2GB
my psu from 375W to 500W
my CPUfrom a pentium D 3GHZ to a core 2 duo
and videocard. from a 2400pro to a 3850

but the problem is, ive heard that  DELL pcs use a special PSU's and uninque motherboards
wich means that if i bought  a new PSU  i would also have to buy a new motherboard. Can anyone confirm this?

second, ive also heard that DELL cases are to small for most PSUS, and i would have to slighlty mod my case
to fit it in, is this true?

third, also read somewhere that Dell motherboards won't be able to be connected to normal PSU's for some odd reason.
fourth, ive also read somewhere thats i cant use a core 2 duo chip with my dell motherboard, is this true?

from what ive read, this problems only occured on older dell pc's, i have no idea if it would be the same for mine, at the end i just want to know if okay to upgrade the parts i need to, withought changing my motherboard and case, or should i just built a pc from scratch

edit: curret mobo: Dell Inc. 0YC523

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2008 21:00

D9150 

9150 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the 9150 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply, from most local, or online computer stores.

The 9150 supports Pentium4 or Pentium D processors only and does not support either, Core2Duo or Quad core processors.

Bev.

No Events found!