Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 22nd, 2017 07:00

upgrading t5400 precision from vista to windows 7??

I am having no luck using the windows 7 32bit pro disk,  to upgrade from vista business  32bit ? everything seems to go ok until the last process when I am greeted with a box saying " windowssetup could not cofigure windows to run on this computer"   I have just replaced the original HD with a new SSDdrive , which has been cloned successfully and the system boots fine to vista,  Windows upgrade adviser has checked and reported most all ok any programs not compatible I have removed, I am stuck  not finding any solutuion? anyone done a similar upgrade, not a clean install?

thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 22nd, 2017 10:00

Vista  Service pack 1 standalone and Vista Service pack 2  standalone must be installed in that order BEFORE windows 7 will "upgrade".

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 15:00

Thanks for reply ,Service pack 1 was done quite some time ago,   service pack 2 also been done.  all other windows vista updates were done automatically.  Windows checks ,and  inform me all is Ok to upgrade, Is there something Dell has installed?  or needs to be updated to complete the upgrade?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2017 09:00

There are different VERSIONS of windows 7.  The Windows Anytime Upgrade Versions are no longer available or supported.   Full versions of windows WILL NOT DO upgrade installs.  Upgrade versions Will not take FULL VERSION COA KEYS. UPGRADE keys only work with Upgrade versions of windows.  Upgrade Versions aka Orange Box are no longer available.  Nor are Online upgrade versions or keys.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15045/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2017 09:00

" windowssetup could not cofigure windows to run on this computer"  is a specific message that has to do with SATA Operation ATA or AHCI.   Advanced Format Drives REQUIRE F6 mass storage drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104

Which file to choose

Download the driver STOR_allOS_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe and one of the following F6 driver diskettes, depending on your operating system:

• STOR_F6_32_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 32-bit versions of Windows 7*, Windows Vista* or Windows XP*
  • STOR_F6_64_10.1.0.1008_PV.exe - for 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP

No Events found!