Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2010 14:00

usb keyboard not working

Hi, can someone help please, I have a Dimension 8400, the original keyboard stopped working, I plugged in an old keyboard in the PS/2 port, that worked ok, I bought a Microsoft comfort curve keyboard 2000, but this has a usb connection, when I plug it into a rear usb port, I get a light on the K/B and XP detects new hardware, but I get an error, unable to install hardware, in device manager, it is listed as error code 28, unable to install driver, I did try it with a usb to PS/2 adapter,still would not work, , the K/B loaded and worked fine on an XP pro computer, but it listed it as a Human Interface Device, on my machine, it is listed as a usb composite device, I have tried the update driver wizard with no luck, if I go into the BIOS setup, it workes fine, just not in windows, my usb mouse works ok. I did try unplugging the computer and holding the power button in but no difference. Any idea's, Thanks in advance

Bob464

XP home SP3, auto updates on, BIOS A09

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2010 19:00

Does this keyboard require a Device Driver? Did it come with an installation CD? What happens if you boot in Safe Mode (F8 before Windows starts to load)?

How are you getting into Device Manager to see that it's listed as a composite device if the keyboard isn't working? If you can get into Device Manager, see what's listed under Keyboard.  Is the entry for the old PS/2 keyboard still listed?

In order to use a USB keyboard with a PS/2 port, you need an "active" USB>PS/2 adaptor such as this.  Most USB>PS/2 adaptors are "passive" and won't work with a keyboard. And even an active USB>PS/2 adaptor may not work with an "advanced" USB keyboard.

Ron

2 Posts

March 5th, 2010 13:00

Ron, thanks for the reply, guess what, you've solved the problem, I am typing this on my new keyboard, I went to Device Manager, using the mouse, Start - Control Panel - System - Hardware Tab, I clicked on the keyboard under USB devices, and clicked uninstall, then re-started and F8 into safe mode, the keyboard worked fine, so re-started into Windows, all working ??, not sure what it did, but hey, when i uninstalled and re-started before, just kept getting the same fault, just for your info, there was no software CD, should just plug and play !!, you need to download extra program to get special keys working (Microsoft IntelliType Pro), did download it before, to see if it would help, but no go, all the hot keys are working now though. So thank you very much, you have been a great help.

Bob464

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 5th, 2010 13:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!