Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2012 18:00

we apologize...windows did not start successfully

I posted this problem previously:" I turned off and unplugged my dell 9100desk top, and removed the internal battery. Then put the battery back, and plugged it back in. I was hoping to correct the problem I was having with the usb ports giving me the error message "usb device not recognized", after trying everything else conceivable."

I went into bios and disabled diskette drive as suggest to me by RoHe in my email. Now I no longer get diskette error message, BUT I still get the black screen error: we apologize...windows did not start successfully.....can choose between 3 ways of safe mode or normal windows start up. cannot start in safe mode or normal windows. Same loop keeps happening. Any one able to help?

I recieved the following answer, however, I cannot do this because I CANNOT START in safe mode or normal windows. Same loop keeps happening. Any one able to help?

Posted by DELL-Manpreet C
replied on 07-16-2012 4:14 PM

Hi SK7480,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

I understand that you get the windows error recovery screen every now and then.

Step 1 :- Please run the hardware diagnostics

32-bit HDD Built in Self Test

1. Reboot the system.
  2. Press the F12 key on the keyboard when the Dell logo appears.
  3. Choose Boot to Utility Partition from the diagnostic menu.
  4. Press Tab and Select  Test System.
  5. At the Diagnostics menu, click the Express Test button.
  6. Wait for the test to finish, if it returns any error codes , please make a note of it.( It will give an error related to no media found in CD drive, please ignore that)
  7. If no errors returned, go to Step 2

Step 2:- I would request you to try to restore the computer to factory settings. I would like to request you to perform a data backup prior to this process as it involves data loss.

Please follow this link to perform the PC Restore:-

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=273763&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Thanks & Regards,

DELL_Manpreet_C

Dell Social Media Responder

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

BTW - Exactly which "9100" desktop is this?

Dimension 9100 or Studio XPS 9100 ?

When you pulled the battery, you reset BIOS to factory defaults, so it's possible there's another BIOS setting that needs to be changed to allow Windows to boot, the same way you had to change the floppy diskette drive setting.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Glad we got the diskette seek failure fixed!

For this other problem, reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select "Last Known Good" from the menu. If that works and you get to your desktop, shut down normally and reboot normally.

If not, reboot from your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation Disk. Press R at first screen to launch Recovery Console.

At C:\ prompt, type in:

chkdsk c: /r

Press Enter and go take a nice long nap.

When it's done, remove the CD and reboot normally. If that doesn't help, you'll probably have to do a Repair/Reinstall of XP which requires that the CD have exactly the same version of Windows (eg, Home, Pro, Media Center) and same Service Pack (eg, SP3) as is on the hard drive.

No Events found!