Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 05:00

what works has for me and still works for my customers

hey guys been fixing dell PCs for about 15 years now and quit familiar with a lot of the issues that dell never seem to be able to help you with.

this problem i have encountered with many dells especially the dimension series. where out of no where the fans just increases speed and  gets very loud annoying and deafening. The majority of the time it is a little more paste on the CPU or cleaning he fan, but then the extreme case comes when the  source control of the fan goes bad which prevents it from regulating properly then you have a jet ready for takeoff.

Now since it is a problem that Dell never seem to get, what has worked and still works just fine is bypassing the source control of fan which is controlled by the blue and white wire on fan. So here goes

Open PC

CPU fan has 5 pins on board but our wires: red, black, blue and white.

Cut the blue and white wire in the middle and join the blue and white wire from the fan (the blue and white that is stuck to the fan after you cut it) by now your fan would have decrease to normal speed just a little above before to make sure that CPU stays properly cooled.

tape up the ends and you are ready and you now have peace again.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 15th, 2012 05:00

That works for you, but I would never tell a user to disable or bypass (modify) a function such as this.   I've worked in computers since before PC's and at a NASA PC board repair facility.  I've seen what "modifying" has done to components and equipment.  

June 15th, 2012 06:00

by passing is just like putting a normal fan in but since dell pins are different you cannot exactly put in a normal fan can you? if you have a better solution then am open but until then my idea has been tried and even after years the PCs still works fine. we learn things by asking questions. and since when is modification is a crime. we do it with cars so does that mean it doesn't work. it was what has been working and i just offered what has worked. like i said if there is a better solution am open

No Events found!