Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 5th, 2008 16:00

xps 730 Ambient Temperature Sensor Failure

When I boot up my computer a black screen comes up saying "Ambient temperature sensor failure or cable not connected" Press F1 to startup. I checked to see if all cables were connected, which they were. If anyone could please help me out with this... The power supply (1kw) is yellow, not blinking or anything. When i continue after the error everything is fine but fans are a bit noisy. Please help. Oh, and ive had this xps 730 for just one day :smileytongue: but i've DL'd the 1.0.3 bio and other driver updates.
Message Edited by Shmoo77 on 08-05-2008 12:15 PM

538 Posts

August 5th, 2008 22:00

I would reseat the connection for the sensor to the master I/O board. If the problem continues, call dell and have them send a tech with another thermal sensor and master I/O board.

PN: FT231 Thermal Sensor Assy

PN: TG003 Master I/O Board

:smileyhappy:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 6th, 2008 11:00

Shmoo77,

If the cable is plugged into the wrong connector or not seated correctly, then you will get the error. When you opened the case cover, were any of the cables loose?

1 Message

August 30th, 2008 09:00

I'm having the same problem with the ambient temperature sensor failure. When I called Dell the woman I was talking to said that this was the first time anyone in her department has heard of this error. After 2 hours on the phone, they said they were going to send someone out to replace every single fan in the case. Obviously, that won't fix the problem but by that time it was about 4 in the morning and I didnt feel like disputing their decision for another hour. Tech guy came this morning and agreed with me, replacing all the fans won't fix an error concerning the temp sensor. I don't poke around inside computers too often, and he didn't seem to know where the sensor was located, could somebody point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it. My system also runs just fine, aside from all the fans running at 55%, it's a tad noisy.:smileyhappy:

538 Posts

September 1st, 2008 22:00

The master control board has a firmware reset jumper that you can try to use to fix the problem. A conflict may have arisen from the BIOS update. Turn the system off, switch the jumper and restart it. A message may popup, see if the fan problem persists. Then turn it off and switch it back.

53 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 10:00

I had the same problem with my XPS 730, I have had it for less than 2 months. Wake up one morning and got the same error message. There were not lose cable in my case. I chat with support and they are going to send me a tech with the new* motherboard. I did nothing out of the ordinary the night before so I have no idea why i suddenly got that error. The major systom is that the fans are now going crazy, it almost unbearable.

*new to me

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2008 15:00

lugo02,

So you got the Temperature Sensor Failure and then the fans went crazy, in that order?

538 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 21:00

The air temp sensor and processor fan connect to the master control board which means that, most likely, the motherboard won't fix the problem.

53 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 23:00

Yes Chris in that Order... Sensor failure then noisy fans. I don't think it could have happened the other way around. The computer was off for about 8 hours before that happened.

Now if the motherboard is not the issue then i'll rather keep my current board instead of replacing it with a refurbished board. The Dell tech support did not know where the temperature sensor is either, he was searching throught the same manual that was shipped with my system and it's not detailed on the manual. I would have thought that the Dell people would have had access to more detailed information about their systems than what is available on line to the public.

Message Edited by lugo02 on 09-22-2008 07:48 PM
Message Edited by lugo02 on 09-22-2008 08:29 PM

53 Posts

September 23rd, 2008 01:00

Since the Ambient Sensor Problem, my XPS lights no longer stays on when the PC returns from sleep state or when I turn it on from a shutdown. I have to manually turn them on from the Nvidia Controlpanel each time.

538 Posts

September 23rd, 2008 16:00

Those are connected to the Master Control board also, lol

53 Posts

September 23rd, 2008 23:00

The Dell representative just came to replace my motherboard. Just as you guys predicted. That did not solve the problem. So I still have the bios error message and the fans are still spinning fast and noisy.

53 Posts

September 24th, 2008 01:00

I went back to Dell support and ran the Dell diagnostic test, some other interesting problems popped up. I wish I had ran it before my motherboard was replaced that I way I would know if the problem is with the replacement board. Whatever the case, Dell is now sending a replacement Master Control Board, a Replacement Raptor Hard Drive, and another set of 4 GB of memory.

I am practically getting a whole new* computer less than 2 months after starting to use the original.

*new to me

53 Posts

September 24th, 2008 14:00

Where is the thermal sensor?

538 Posts

September 24th, 2008 15:00

It should be attached to the front of the case near the master control board. It's small and easy to miss.

12 Posts

September 28th, 2008 17:00

Interesting.

I have this exact problem.  Turned the computer on in the morning and wham, "ambient sensor" problem.  Totally frustrated because this is my second faulty XPS 730 in less than three weeks, the first just freezing during "normal" desktop operations.

If I run the "Sensors" node in the diagnostics I get an error code "5E00:232B ESA_THERMAL_SENSOR - One or more thermal sensors indicates a fault condition".   In the actual textual results pane on the right, *ALL* sensors return this error.

Inside the case the MCB has a yellow (sort of orange) steady light.

Premium *coughs* tech support took two hours to decide that it was a MCB error.  They told me to remove all the cables from the MCB and couldn't understand that this involved me removing the cage-fan and other stuff.  They also asked me to spell the would "sensor" when I gave them the error which speaks volumes.

They said on Saturday they would send an engineer on Tuesday (next day support?).  I also asked quite clearly that any replacement parts would be *brand new* and he went away and checked and said yes.  I am going to verify this when the engineer arrives and aww if he tells me he's got reconditioned parts and if so then I will not let him work on the system and demand the third new PC and another huge box in my house waiting to be collected.

I now have two XPS 730 sitting here each worth over £3000 which don't work.

Message Edited by MelvMay on 09-28-2008 01:23 PM
No Events found!