Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2010 10:00

xps 9000 built from scratch

ok so i grabbed a dell xps 9000 case + mobo + ps from ebay

load it up with ram , video card , and all the rest. however, i did not come with that black thing on top of the cpu fan. it also came with a high pitch sound from the ps.

seller agreed to refund me 60 to get another ps. i saw one on ebay for this price.

question: can i get dell to sell me the rest of the parts .   The black tube to move heat away from cpu, and maybe the ps .

now i am sure once i call, they re gonna ask me for tag number which this pc doesn't have.

would that be a problem.

47 Posts

thanks and i know what you mean.

he might ask me again and again " sir, look again there should be a service tag or express service code" lol

gonna try calling them. too bad the case is too new and there are no parts available right now. 

now do you think the pc will overheat for not having that, cause the cpu comes with a fan and i see that tube sitting on top of it. only purpose i see is to bring the heat close to the door where there is a vent.(i could be wrong)

will keep you post

thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

You can try calling Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355.  The service tag can also be found in the BIOS.

It probably doesn't have one. I bought two stripped-down Dells on eBay, and one had a service tag in the BIOS and one did not. The service tag of the one that did was not recognized by the Dell site; it had probably been purged.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

If the high pitched sound from the PS is fan noise, perhaps you can replace the fan?

Regarding the black tube, I think it is considered part of the heat sink assembly. You might be able to buy one from Dell if the offshored sales clerk is sufficiently knowledgeable. When I tried to buy parts for my Studio 540s, they kept asking me for the service tag, and refused to believe me when I said it didn't have one. (Like you, I bought mine in stripped-down form on eBay.)

729 Posts

You can try calling Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355.  The service tag can also be found in the BIOS.

53 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 12:00

I watched that chassis on Ebay for several weeks with thoughts of doing the same thin you plan.  In the end I was scared off by Dell's propensity to use proprietary parts.  I have replaced power supplies in other Dells with units from PC Power and cooling.  Newegg offers a PC Power and Cooling 470ATX for Dell applications.  I do noy know if the chassis included a heatsink and fan,  but you might check with Newegg for a cooling solution, but I am not sure Dell uses a standard mount for the heatsink and fan.  Good luck on the project, and keep thread alive to let us know how it turns out.

12 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 12:00

I have both the 475W Power Supply Unit and Heat Sink for spare parts, because i upgraded to a 750w psu and cooler master V8 Heat sink . The Dell heat sink has a white sticker on the side with a bar code and CN number. I have no idea what a CN number is. 

Here it is from the heat sink CN-0P281K-68282-958-1620

PM me if you need the 475w power supply.

SupremeFive

47 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 16:00

I have both the 475W Power Supply Unit and Heat Sink for spare parts, because i upgraded to a 750w psu and cooler master V8 Heat sink . The Dell heat sink has a white sticker on the side with a bar code and CN number. I have no idea what a CN number is. 

Here it is from the heat sink CN-0P281K-68282-958-1620

PM me if you need the 475w power supply.

SupremeFive

great to hear that, i tried to pm not sure if it went through.

i was thinking of v8, how did it fit in the case.

looking forward to take them from ur hands

thanks

47 Posts

February 7th, 2010 05:00

update:

1-so computer has been running well for 2 weeks

2- dell sold me the spare parts with no problem(sent me the wrong item first, but i was not surprised , its dell)

3- was having only one issue that pc was trying to boot to network(fixed by loading defaults settings)

4- like some posted here, pc has no service tag to it. (in bios there is the space to input any numbers or letters)

5- total expended:

$300 case and mobo and ps

$250 CPU

$23 heatsink and fan

$120 for 6x1GB ddr3

*video card and HDD swapped from old pc(core 2 duo, not that old lol)

just need to REALLLLLLLY organized those cables, lol

and need last advice :   what to add to the 3.5 bay(please don't tell me another card reader) need something really cool that makes the tower even prettier.

what do you think about this looks interesting but not sure

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4323589&CatId=4270

thanks alot

alex p

12 Posts

February 7th, 2010 11:00

good to see your 9000 is up and running:emotion-1:

i was able to add and extra 1.5 TB drive to the 3.5 bay without an extra mounting bracket. and i also added a X-FI I/O Drive in the same enclosure.

2.5" solid state drive's can fit there as well but those are  4 times more expensive then a reg 3.5 hard drive.

No Events found!