Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2010 09:00

Alert Rear Fan Failure/Optiplex GX 745

:emotion-15:

this machine is 3 yrs old never been opened  and just las t month start to display this message during boot up .

Please advise on this matter. i can hear fan running inside the machine so it works.

Tks

Fer

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 17th, 2010 11:00

What form factor is this 745 (mini-tower, small form, desktop...)?

There may be more than one fan. You probably have one on the CPU, plus one in the power supply and maybe a case fan too. So you need to figure out how many there are and if all of them are working.

The others may have to work overtime to compensate for the one that's not working, and that's not good either.

Ron

April 20th, 2010 18:00

all 3 fan's are working.

this is the small form, model.

So what is the problem?

i saw another post with similar problem and it seems nobody can figure this out.

It is as BIOS setting?

Please Advise ASAP

Tks

Fer

:emotion-60:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 21st, 2010 11:00

Fans on many (most?) Dell systems have a sensor in them. So it's possible that fan sensor failed.  Other possibility is that the motherboard failed.

You might check the cable from fan to motherboard to make sure it's firmly/correctly connected to the motherboard. Be sure to power off, unplug from the wall and press/hold power button for ~15 sec  before opening the case and fiddling with the hardware. :emotion-5:

If the system is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for repairs.

Ron

2 Posts

May 29th, 2012 10:00

I have the same problem with three (3) OptiPlex 745 PCs.

They were shipped without the heat sync fan which is located under the hard drive. When I inquired about this with Dell, I was told that they would not send replacement fans, because they didn't have enough to supply the new computers being built that needed them.

Before I realized that the fans were missing, (the older models didn't have fans in the hard drive case) I purchased new power supplies for the PCs.

Nobody at Dell will talk about this and now that the computers are out of warranty, I guess I'm up the proverbial "creek".

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 29th, 2012 11:00

@SirTerry - You responded to a thread that's 2 years old.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2012 11:00

Ron,

Yes, I realize this thread is two (2) years old. I just want to reiterate that some folks are still having this problem and let them know that, unless you find a private supplier for the heat sync fan. Dell WILL NOT help you.

In Ohio, I use LEK Computers on Main Street in Akron and BPI Computer Services.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 30th, 2012 09:00

Dell NH645 Hard Drive Caddy & Fan CM740 NY290 NJ793 TJ160

OptiPlex 740 OptiPlex 745 OptiPlex 755
OptiPlex 780 Dimension 5100C

May 11th, 2014 20:00

My dell optiplex is 6 years old when I started getting these errors. I purchased a new hard drive fan from ebay that was supposed to be original replacement and was not. A little duct tape and I got it mounted but turned on unit and watched it for a few minutes with drive out of way. fan spun slow and somewhat sporadically, not sure what that means. Re-assembled unit and restarted and still get same hard drive fan failure error. I am trying to find oem equipment from dell but after reading all the post I am not even sure if the fan is the problem. 

should it spin full speed all the time or is what I described normal?

No Events found!