Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 19th, 2004 17:00

BIOS Upgrade Help

I went through the process of upgrading my BIOS A06 to XP2 (Dell 8100).  I got the upgrade installed, but forgot to eject the floppy disk when the computer booted up.  Now I get the setup message: "Verifying system configuration, checking ROM file, ROM file CRC-32 is correct, press any key to continue."  When I press any key, the computer locks up.  When I restart the computer, I am unable to enter startup (F2).  All I want to do is check my RAM configuration because my computer is only recognizing 640MB out of 1024MB.  Now in addition to the RAM problem, I have the BIOS problem.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Gloria

516 Posts

March 19th, 2004 17:00

If possible take out the ram that is not being fully recognized then do the BIOS upgrade. It may be that the faulty memory is causing the problem with the upgrade.

9.4K Posts

March 19th, 2004 19:00

Nvglos

Another thing to try is clearing the NVRAM.  It's possible the NVRAM got corrupted thus causing the boot up message.  Clearing the NVRAM will refresh the stored hardware configuration that BIOS uses with the latest information.  This is can be very useful in resolving hardware conflicts during the boot up process. 

Since it sounds like you can no longer access the BIOS Setup you will have to clear the NVRAM the old fashion way by removing the battery from the motherboard.  Remove the battery with the machine unplugged and leave it sit a while to dissepate any residual charge.  Then reinstall the battery and try booting the computer.  The link below is to a Dell Reference Guide on removing the motherboard battery:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dsleest/rr.htm#battery

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2004 17:00

One month later and I finally followed your advice!  Unfortunately, I am still unable to access setup.  I removed the battery with the computer unplugged, waited about 5 minutes, replaced the battery, plugged in the computer and started it up.  I was able to get into setup (F2), but got the following message:

"invalid configuration information - please run set up program

performing automatic IDE configuration...

primary master: IDE disk drive

secondary master: CD-ROM reader

strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup utility"

I hit F2 to run setup, computer freezes up.  I turn it off.  Turn back on, unable to access setup (F2).  Remove battery, unplug computer, etc. again.  Turn on computer and am able to enter setup (F2).  Get same error message as above.  This time I hit F1 to continue.  Computer freezes up.  I turn it off.  Turn back on, unable to access setup again. 

I am stumped here.  I removed all my memory cards and realized I actually have 2 64mb cards and 2 256 mb cards, for a total of 640 mb.  When I upgraded the memory from 128 on Windows ME, I guess the memory total was entered wrong in setup, and when I upgraded to XP, it fixed itself.  So anyway, that problem is now solved, but I still don't know if my BIOS is fixed.  Can you offer any more advice, please??

Thanks,

Gloria

9.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2004 18:00

When you have the machine unplugged and the battery removed try pressing the On button for several seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard. Then re-install the battery, plug back in and see if it will now boot normally. 

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2004 19:00

Tried, and still get same thing.

9.4K Posts

April 24th, 2004 12:00

Try disconnecting the hard drive and CD ribbon cables from the motherboard to see if the machine will boot normally.  If it does then try flashing the BIOS back to version A09.  I was re-reading your postings and the part where you mentioned that you forgot about the floppy in the drive when you re-booted.  Normally the BIOS upgrade shouldn't have re-installed as the program will detect there is the same version number already installed.  Not knowing what happened during the re-boot I thinking that possibly the BIOS was corrupted during the re-boot.  By flashing back to version A09 you will have rewritten the BIOS and have eliminated that possibility.

One other thing....  did you upgrade the memory right before this happened?  If so, then remove the new memory modules and just leave the old ones in.  See if this resolves the boot problem.  Possibly there is a compatibility problem with the new modules and your system.

Message Edited by Majestic on 04-24-2004 08:58 AM

8 Posts

April 24th, 2004 13:00

I will do as you suggest.  One question though, do I boot while the CD and hard drive are disconnected?  I want to make sure I understand.

As to your question about the memory upgrade, no, it was done a long time before this problem happened.  I upgraded from Windows Me to Windows XP, and when I upgraded the BIOS is when the problem started. 

Can you give me the steps on how to revert back to the old BIOS?

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this! 

9.4K Posts

April 24th, 2004 14:00

I will do as you suggest.  One question though, do I boot while the CD and hard drive are disconnected?  I want to make sure I understand.

Yes, boot with those devices disconnected.  The machine should still boot to the floppy drive.

Can you give me the steps on how to revert back to the old BIOS?

You flash back the BIOS the same way that you upgraded it.  Download the bootable floppy version of BIOS version A09 and create a bootable BIOS upgrade floppy disk.  After the disk is created then re-boot the machine with the floppy still in the drive.  The BIOS upgrade program will then run and prompt you along the way.  The bootable floppy version of A09 can be found here.  There are also directions on the download page that you can print out if needed.

No Events found!