Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2010 12:00

C521 Pre-Post Errors

Have a C521 w/ AMD processor.  Will not clear Post but is not giving any indications that match Dell troubleshooting patterns.  Here's what I get.

Upon pressing Power button:

1) CPU & Power Supply Fans runs.  2) Power button is steady Yellow.  3) Green activity light on CD drive goes on for about 15 secs then goes off.  4) Steady green light on Front Panel for LAN cable connection.  5) No diagnostic lights on Front Panel.  6) No Post beeps.  7) No Video from VGA or DVI ports.

Unit is factory config w/ SATA HD & DVD drives, 1GB Ram (2x512), Modem PCI card, Dell Digital Video card installed.

I have checked & reconnected all cables, reseat all cards & memory.  There has been no change in boot up after each.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!!

729 Posts

The only thing I can suggest trying is replace the CMOS battery.  You can get it (CR2032) at any drug store or Walmart.  Instructions for replacing the battery can be found HERE.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

brianmz1

If you are comfortable working around computers, try the following:

Remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If the fans spin up and there is no change in the diagnostic lights, or beep sequence, then it would appear that the motherboard has died and will need to be replaced.

While the case is open, check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2010 15:00

Yup, no change.  Looked around and see 2 sml caps by the #1 PCI slot that might be suspect.  Geez you'd think after all of the cap issues they had with their GX240/260 SFF line they would be past this problem.   Do you know if this was a "defect" issue like with the GX line?  I know they invoked an extended MB replacement policy that covered blown caps after the warranty had expired.

I may try a PS from another system just as a last resort but it looks like I'll be sourcing a MB. 

Thanks for the input!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 19th, 2010 15:00

brianmz1

That's a bummer.     :emotion-6:

Not as far as I know, the earlier Dimension 8400 systems had both bad caps, and power supply problems.    :emotion-9:

Bev.

No Events found!