Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2012 07:00

Computer Won't turn on, only beeps.

I have a Inspiron 560 from probably 6 years ago now and at one point it wouldn't turn on. At that time when i did try to turn it on my computer monitor wouldn't do anything and my desktop would only beep at me. I ended up frustrated and just gave up after a half hour then the next day tried to turn it on again and what did you know it worked. Thinking nothing of it I just continued on. The other day it did it again. Frustrated for a second time i open the computer to make sure all the drives and disks and what not where firmly in place and everything seemed fine. The # of beeps were inconsistent. At one point it would make 2 or 3 beeps and when I would mess around with the inside of it trying to fix it the # would change. Finally it settled on 6 quick short beeps. Today out of desperation i turned it on one final time and Wa La it works. So now I'm just curious what's going on with my computer. Each time the monitor does nothing, the tower just beeps at me.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 5th, 2012 07:00

Hi eps3742,

Please check the model number. I don't think the Inspiron 560 is that old.

The beep codes are listed on page 25 of the Inspiron 560 user guide. Six beeps is a video card failure.

July 5th, 2012 08:00

Hi

plz do it

1)Plz Clean up your Ram with eraser.

2)If heat sink paste is not there on the processor than it will not work.

so plz put new heat sink paste on processor.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 5th, 2012 18:00

Let me suggest we figure out how many beeps there are before you go removing the processor.

"Guesswork is no substitute for proper troubleshooting."

2 Posts

July 15th, 2012 09:00

It is 6 beeps. it turns on every once and awhile but when it goes to sleep it may not come back on and i start the process all over again. Also idk how to remove the processor so...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 15th, 2012 10:00

Six beeps is a video card failure. Do you have a separate video card or are you using the integrated graphics adapter? If it's a separate card, try removing the card and using the on-board VGA connector.

No Events found!