Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 2nd, 2007 00:00

Dell Diagnostics Error Message : Memory Compare Error

Anybody ever have a similar situation, please tell me what steps you took to determine whether it was the RAM or another hardware issue? BTW my machine is a E510 with Pentium D 820 2.8GHZ and it has 1 GB of Dell Branded RAM (PC2 4200 533MHZ.

Message Edited by doggert on 06-01-2007 08:41 PM

5.8K Posts

June 2nd, 2007 15:00

Sure sounds like a memory error. If you want to confirm, try memtest86+ or the Microsoft Windows memory tester. Both are free and considered better than Dell diagnostics.

Peter

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2007 00:00

Thanks, I wasn't aware of Microsoft having a memory tester; Memtest86+ results pointed to my ram in the 1st slot, I guess I will have to return it to dell for a new ram stick.

5.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2007 01:00

Dell tends to respond very well when you give them an error code from their own diagnostics so make sure you reference the error code when getting a replacement.

Peter

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2007 15:00

Ran MS Window Memory tester and also had errors, Dimm_1 showed 7 errors. I switched my memory modules (2X512)from 1 to 2, vice versa and ran the tests and it also resulted in failed tests; is it possible that both sticks could be damaged or is it because of the dual channel that it will show errors in Dimm_1? Luckily I had just received my 2 sticks of new RAM and replaced the Dell Branded pair, and what do you know I ran memtest86+, MS Windows Memory Tester, and Dell Diagnostics and everything was now error free. I have to run a test on each Dell Branded memory stick and make sure they are both damaged so that I can send them back. Thanks for the help Peter.

5.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2007 18:00

The best way to check each stick is to test them independently, but you could also have errors that only appear in dual channel mode. Sounds like it might be a good idea to return them both if there is any question.

Peter
No Events found!