Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2011 16:00

Dell PC restore error message Dimension 5150 Win XP

Hi All,

I have been having problems with my Dell Dimensions 5150 desktop computer running Windows XP. I located the PC Restore by going Ctrl F11. As I ran this I got the error message restore unsuccessful please click restart to reboot. When I did this I can now no longer access my files I just get the error message
Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done.
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
Every time I do this I get the same error message.
Anybody have any ideas what I can do?
Many Thanks in anticipation of help
Andrew

3 Posts

July 16th, 2011 18:00

Thanks will give that a go. I dont have the windows restore disk as it was preloaded when I bought the PC although I think I have the drivers & utilities disk.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

If you're the owner of this PC that's registered with Dell and live in the US, you can request the Windows XP CD from Dell by completing this form. They may charge you for it.

If you live outside the US, contact Dell Tech Support in your area to request the CD.

Ron

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Andrew,

Partway down through this thread is a procedure that may rescue your drive. If that does not help, I suggest you perform the Dell diagnostics on your drive using your drivers and utilities disc to make sure the hard drive itself is not the problem. If it's good, then I believe it's time for a manual reinstallation.

No Events found!