Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2005 16:00

Dell Reset button?

Hi all! I need some really quick help. I have a friend who forgot the password to her Windows XP Account, and there is no other accounts on the computer, so we need to reset the computer. Does anyone know where the reset button is? I didn't know what forum to put it in since it sort of fits under both, so I just put it here. Sorry if this is the "wrong forum" but yeah. Any help is greatly appreicated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the problem is with a password under Windows, a hardware reset won't do the job.

Try booting in Safe Mode - many times the admin account is left with no password.

Otherwise, you're going to need to look around for password-bypass software and/or professional assistance to get past the password - there is very little in the way of free software for this purpose.

ACtually, wait, I did that in safe mode, and it still wouldn't let me in. Do I need to get professional help now?

18.8K Posts

Wired_Thief,

There is no "Reset" button. If your friend is using Windows XP Home Edition, boot to Safe Mode (the following steps can be performed in Normal Mode in XP Professional Edition). At the Welcome screen press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice and on the sign on screen enter Administrator as the user name and leave the password blank (it should be blank by default). If you are able to sign on go to Start|Control Panel|User Accounts and either remove the password on the named account or change it to something known. That should allow normal access to the system again.

Thanks guys! These steps worked, thanks alot again.

18.8K Posts

February 7th, 2005 02:00

Wired_Thief,

The easiest solution is to simply reinstall Windows XP. See this.

No Events found!