Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 16th, 2015 13:00

Dell Studio Hybrid DVD burner in windows 8

I recently upgraded my old Studio Hybrid to Windows 8 and it worked fine (use it as a spare workstation at my office that I can RDP into since I use a laptop as my main computer).  But I found out today that the OS no longer recognizes the DVD drive as a burner so I can't burn images anymore (one of the main functions it performs). 

It has the HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GA10N

Worked fine in Vista and 7, and was actually what burned the ISO of 8 to install. 

I know I can always throw an external slim burner on it via USB but the whole reason I've kept this system as long as I have (since 2008) is because I love the small form factor, and having to place an external unit would ruin the whole point of having it how and where I do.

Anyone else running Windows 8 or 8.1 on a Studio Hybrid and came up with a workaround for this burner?

Thanks for any information

John

780 Posts

July 16th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

Can you please check if the DVD drive is detected in BIOS?

If yes, Then we can look for a work around to fix the issue as the drive isnt showing up only in the OS.

Thanks

16 Posts

July 16th, 2015 15:00

It's not that it's not seen - I can use it fine, reads all day.  It's seen by the OS.  It just isn't recognized by Windows 8 as a BURNER now even though the device manager lists it with the RW +- in the details for the driver...

So whether I'm just right clicking an ISO and saying "burn to disc" or installing a burning software, the OS thinks I have no burner available, although the OS knows there is a DVD drive available.

16 Posts

July 17th, 2015 09:00

And oddly enough, ANOTHER usb dvd writer is also seen by the computer as a reader only...

780 Posts

July 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for the swift response.

Leave the external drive unplugged.

Can you try uninstalling the DVD Drive from Device manager, Reboot the PC, let is pick up the drive automatically, then try burining it.

Should that fail, Please check for firmware upgrade from www.dell.com/support .

Issue appears to be with the OS, what version of Windows 8 have you installed?

Thanks 

16 Posts

July 17th, 2015 14:00

Did all that as basic troubleshooting before I posted so unfortunately no luck with any of it.

Windows 8.1 professional.  And the same external drive that won't work on 8.1 pro on the Hybrid worked fine in 8.1 pro on my Thinkpad Yoga

So it's definitely something with this particular computer, as bizarre as that seems.  I know the OS supports this as is witnessed by every other machine I have with 8.1 running.  I'll just wait and sit tight I guess and see if it works with 10 when it's released...

No Events found!