Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2010 05:00

Dell XPS 630i bios fail

hello there,
I have a xps 630i desktop, with windows 7. And yesterday I tried to update the bios to the latest version. I downloaded the file with Dell download manager, and saved the file to my dekstop, after that I run it as adminstrator, and click continue, and a new window pops up, and I click ok. My computer was restarting, and after the Dell logo was loaded there came a black screen with the text "PRES ANY KEY TO REBOOT" and ofcourse I pressed a key and my computer restarded, but again the black screen was there with the same text "PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT" and I pressed a key and it restart and so on. I could not log into windows, so I reboot my computer again and pressed F2 to go to the setup and click "load setup default" and saved and restarted my computer, now after the Dell logo is loaded finish it says  Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6,00PG Copyright (c) 1984-2007, Phoenix Technologies, LTD Floppy disk(s) fail (40) press f1 to continue, F2 to enter setup. I can press F1 and can now acces windows, but every time I start my computer the annoying screen is there, and my F12 key is not working! what should i doo? I will do anything, if I can get my xps 630i pc back without the bios fail and a chrashed f12 key! hope you guys can help me :)

14.4K Posts

May 27th, 2010 17:00

If you do not have a floppy drive, boot into the bios and check the setting and make sure it is off or disabled.

While there you can check your settings against the defaults and setting shown HERE  Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You may also want to try a CMOS reset as per the instructions HERE  Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

May 28th, 2010 07:00

Okay thanks I will se what I can do, but I have still a question, how to disable the flobbydrive I cant find it under setup?? :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 28th, 2010 08:00

Okay thanks I will se what I can do, but I have still a question, how to disable the flobbydrive I cant find it under setup?? :)

jellycaptain

It is listed as the 'Diskette Drive' in the Syatem Setup.

Bev.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2010 16:00

I have exact exactly the same problem. How do I fix-it? I have reset the boot sequence as follows: 

Hard Drive

USB device

Optical drive

Integrated NIC

And still it tells me 

"Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Audio cable not connected

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Set-up"

F2 brings me to bios set-up, with the boot sequence above

F1 brings up a black screen saying "Missing operating system"... and that's pretty much it

No Events found!