Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 11th, 2011 13:00

Dell XPS 8300 with 460 PSU and the Single AMD Radeon™ HD 6870

I have a system (below) I would like to purchase, but, I am concerned with the PSU of 460 on the 8300. When I go to the ATI website it tells me that a PSU of 460 is inadequate to run the AMD 6870. The AMD website system requirements are: 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors. I have talked with Dell Sales Rep and he has checked with 2 different TS guys @ Dell. They say this will not be an issue, but when I read posts in  these forums I see where it is recommended to use a much larger PSU for this and other larger video cards. I do not want to create my own problems right out of the box if I purchase this system. Please advise if this will work or not. I like the smaller size of the 8300 case vs. the 9100 tank.

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)

Module  Description
XPS 8300 XPS 8300
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64Bit, English
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
Monitor No Monitor
Video Card Single AMD Radeon™ HD 6870
Hard Drive 2TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 64MB Cache
Mouse Dell Laser Mouse
Network Card Add 2 USB 3.0 ports
TBU Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
Sound Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Hardware Support Services 2 Year Premium Hardware Service
Data Safe DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
TV Tuners & Remote Controls Hauppauge HVR1250 hybrid TV Tuner with Remote Control

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2011 07:00

I like the smaller size of the 8300 case vs. the 9100 tank.

The bigger the case the better.  Just more room for everything to breathe especially when you heat it up with gaming.  I personally dislike small cases.  It makes it really difficult to get your hands in there to do any upgrades.  

Anyway, this has been discussed many times. Your system will be fine with the HD 6870 provided by Dell.  The OEM card is not the same as retail and guaranteed to work with your system.  Your total power consumption of your entire system will be less than 300 watts under load so there should be no concerns.  You cannot go by the AMD web site and what they say.  Enjoy your new computer.  

No Events found!