Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2012 07:00

Dell XPS 8500 tower grinding noise

I have a noise coming from my tower and made a recording of it. I can't seem to get anyone at Dell to listen to it. It is a loud, repeatitive, grinding type noise that is coming from low in the back of the tower. I do not know if it is the fan, hard drive or something else. It only happens when the computer is not being used but still on. My computer screen goes into power saving mode (my computer is set to NOT sleep or hibernate) and then the noise begins. Once I move my mouse, it stops.

Would someone be willing willing to listen to the recording of the sound and give me some advice?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hi Hopko,

I would recommend you to clean the air vents of the fans and update the system BIOS of the computer

Below are the steps to clean the air vents of the fan:

• Check the vents to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Remove all the cables from the rear panel of the computer
  • Use Compressed Air Can to blow the dust out of the vents

Note:  When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Then please update BIOS if you are able to boot into windows:

Note: Before updating BIOS, please ensure:
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

• Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer

Also, if you are comfortable opening the compute, this would help us isolate the source of the noise. You can click on the link for the manual on opening the computer http://dell.to/L9xuXd

Note:Before removing the cover, please ensure that all peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) are disconnected. Power cable is unplugged from the computer. Do not touch any components inside the computer when the computer is powered on.

Please reply if you have any questions.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 09:00

Ok. I opened the case. It is clean. I believe the grinding noise is coming from what I think is my gard drive. I can actually feel the vibration when it makes the noise.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 09:00

Sorry. Hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi Hopko,

Thank you for your response.Let me know if you were able to update BIOS. I would also recommend you to run the diagnostics :

• Power off the computer
  • Please restart the computer
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F12’ key which is at the top of the keyboard

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After you have tapped ‘F12’ key then a new window will appear. Now highlight the “Diagnostics” using the down arrow key and press ‘Enter’ to initiate EPSA diagnostic test.
  • Diagnostics will be initiated automatically.
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please reply with the findings.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 14:00

I did upgrade the bios. That did not help. Through some experimenting I was able to figure out that the grinding noise starts when my MONITOR goes into power saving mode. If I turn off power saving mode the noise does not occur. The noise is coming from the tower. I still do not understand what the connection is between the noise, my monitor and the tower. I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2412MB

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

On my Dell Optiplex 745 You have a option in bios to reduce noise from the hard-disk. Do you have that option in you're bios menu? I think it's under performance.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 24th, 2012 15:00

Hi Hopko,

Thank you for your response. Please share the results of the diagnostics. I would also recommend you check in BIOS if you get the same noise.

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap F2 on Dell logo for 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the BIOS main page. Please observe if you get the same noise

Please share the findings.

3 Posts

October 24th, 2012 17:00

Hopko,

From your description the noise only occurs when the computer attempts to put itself in to a power saving state.

If you look at the settings for the power options, is the Hard Drive set to shut off at or near the same time that the monitor?

If so, try setting the hard drive to Always On or Never Sleep or whatever the setting is and see if the noise is still occurring.

6 Posts

It is set to "never sleep". The only way I can stop the noise is to stop my monitor from going into power saving mode. I think this is very strange.

6 Posts

I did run the diagnostics and got NO errors. What am I supposses to be checking in the bios?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi Hopko,

Thank you for your response. From the details you shared, I understand that the noise is heard when the monitor goes into the sleep mode. Since the system is functional,  there is a possibility that the computer tries to send signal to the monitor. I would recommend you to set the power settings both for monitor and the computer to sleep and check if the issue still persists.

Please reply with the findings.

1 Message

January 7th, 2013 06:00

Hello. I have been having the above mentioned grinding noise issues =, where my Dell XPS 8300 keeps making grinding noises d whole time it is on. I have updated the bios as stated above all to no avail. I followed the F12 proceedure and ran the Diagnostic test and came up with the following hard drive errors;

Error: 2000_0142

Validation: 63247

Hard drive 0 - S/N S26BJ9AZB11640:  UNSUCCESSFUL

Please help or suggest possible solutions as to what to do next.

Cheers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 7th, 2013 08:00

Teeto

Error Code 2000-0142, indicates a failing/failed hard drive and you need to replace it, followed by reinstalling windows, drivers and the applications.

If you have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical support for a replacement hard drive, no warranty, then you need to buy an internal SATA, 7200rpm, 3.5" hard drive, these can be purchased from most local and online computer stores.

Bev.

1 Message

March 14th, 2015 17:00

my   computer  tower  makes  loud  noise,how  to  stop  it  

????

No Events found!