Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2012 02:00

Dell XPS 8500 with 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7570 - how to connect two or monitors?

Hi, I got my Dell XPS 8500 today with the 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7570.

Prior to purchasing the desktop I read online that the AMD Radeon HD 7570 supports Eyefinity support.   And Eyefinity is supposedly able to support 4 monitors using the HD 7570 card per the description here: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7570/Pages/radeon-7570.aspx#2 

When looking at the online pictures of the Dell XPS 8500 I was thinking that the Eyefinity support was by using a Display Port in addition to the DVI port.   Specifically I was thinking that one monitor was supported by DVI whereas monitors two thru 4 were supported using an active connection to the display port using a product such as the Accell UltraAV K087B-005B DisplayPort to 3x DVI-D single-link multi-monitor adapter.

Much to my surprise the graphics card arrived with an HDMI port rather than a Display port and I believe that the HDMI port is a one to one connection rather than a one to many display connection.   Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that point.   But if I'm not wrong then that would imply that at most the Dell XPS 8500 with the AMD Radeon HD 7570 card can support up to only 2 monitors (one on the DVI port and one on the HDMI port) rather than 4 monitors as described on the weblink above.

Would others agree with that statement?

Note that the Dell XPS 8500 also has a VGA connector on it but I tested using one monitor on the VGA and one monitor on the DVI connection and the computer flagged that as being an invalid monitor config.   Likely because the VGA and DVI connections are driving the same video display such that connecting two monitors to the same display doesn't make logical sense.

I have not tested the HDMI port to the second monitor yet primarily because I don't have a spare HDMI cable on hand at the moment.   I'll likely purchase one tomorrow unless I see comments to my post stating that a second monitor cannot be driven by the HDMI port on the AMD Radeon HD 7570 card...   I would be surprised by that if that were the case (a 1 monitor system would be fairly limiting) but it is hard to say for sure since the VGA and DVI connections at the same time were flagged by the computer as an invalid config...

Any thoughts on the various ways to configure multiple monitors with the XPS 8500 and the 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7500 are appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug

270 Posts

May 5th, 2012 07:00

if the card does not have a display port it is not an eyefinity card and cannot support 3 monitors ... it will do 2 monitors no problem ... i could not find anywhere on Dell's site where it said the card was eyefinity ... if you want 3 monitor support you will have to buy a video card that supports it.

May 23rd, 2012 16:00

I just got my XPS 8500 with the Radeon 7570. I used the integrated video card to drive a second monitor using the VGA port. It will probably be able to drive a third monitor when two are driven by the Radeon.

When you first boot the system with a monitor on the integrated VGA port you will get an error. You need to go into BIOS (by hitting F2 when booting)  and switch the integrated video card from disabled to enabled. The next time you boot into windows it may complain about the configuration changing and requiring a restart. After restarting it seems to work fine.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2012 18:00

Yes - worked great - used the onboard vga, the dvi and hdmi on the Radeon HD7570 to run 3 independent monitors.  The video was blinking every 30 sec or so when I first installed but I updated the video driver via Dell's driver website and all works fine now...

May 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi DellDoug,

Welcome to the Community,

Dell XPS 8500 has been powered by the third generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors it supports GPUs like AMD Radeon as well as Nvidia GeForce.Besides up to 16GB DDR3 memory the Windows 7 based system can be configured with up to 3TB of storage using an HDD or mSATA SSD.

The two-slots-wide Radeon card leaves just two PCIe x1 slots free on the motherboard; an 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth card occupies a Mini PCIe slot with Power 460W and of 4 DIMM Slots.

Please check the link to connect one or more Monitor for windows 7 OS--  http://dell.to/ICEWs1

Also You can go to the Dell Website for any information - support.dell.com/manual

Let me know if it helps.

Thank You,

3 Posts

May 5th, 2012 13:00

Thanks all.   I bought an HDMI cable today and hooked up my second monitor successfully with it.

I find it interesting that AMD has its HD 7570 card listed as an eyeinfinity card per the description here: www.amd.com/.../radeon-7570.aspx  whereas it really is not an eyeinfinity card in all cases as mentioned above.   Perhaps there are different types of HD 7570 cards and some are eyeinfinity and some are not.   if that is the case it certaintly makes it confusing to the consumer doing research on what to purchase.

In any event the card does at least two monitors and that meets my needs for now.    Appreciate the responses.

1 Message

May 8th, 2012 13:00

I bought an MT 620 recently and swapped out the graphics card for one that supported four monitors. We actually tested five monitors; four on the riser card on one on the VGA port on the motherboard. We did, however, have to enable the onboard graphics card in the BIOS to do so, otherwise we got that duff warning screen. I suspect that it'll be the same on the yours.

Warren

1 Message

May 8th, 2012 17:00

If you go to the spec's on the AMD page it also says that it is Eyefinity enabled.    

I also bought the XPS 8500.  It arrived today and when I looked at the back and saw the video card outputs I was in mild shock.  Defintely not what I expected.  I will be likely be returning it very soon.

Thanks.

May 15th, 2012 20:00

Look in the footnotes tab at AMD for the 7570 OEM

www.amd.com/.../radeon-7570.aspx

1 Message

May 15th, 2012 20:00

Hey Guys.. there is a footnote from AMD on the HD 7570.. I don't know if it helps...
"

1. AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required.  Support for six simultaneous displays may require complementary products compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport. Maximum number of configured displays may vary - check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies.  SLS (“Single Large Surface”) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays

3 Posts

May 15th, 2012 23:00

Thanks for the link to the HD 7570 footnote.   How do you guys interpret the footnote?   Specifically, the HD 7570 that comes with the XPS 8500 has one DVI port and one HDMI port.    The footnote seems to suggest that somehow the user can add hardware to that configuration in order to get a display port for Eyefinity.   And therein lies the conundrum...   I know that in order to drive more than 1 monitor from a display port that you need an active connection rather than a passive connection.    And I don't believe that an HDMI output on the back of the XPS 8500 can drive more than 1 monitor in such a fashion.   Yes, I can see some gadgets that convert HDMI to a display port for a single monitor but not one that can do an HDMI port to a display port to multiple monitors.   Similarly, I see hardware advertised to convert a DVI port to a mini display port but all of those hardware solutions seem to only drive one monitor and not more than one moniitor.    So I think I'm back to only knowing about a configuration that supports at most 2 monitors with the HD 7570 with the XPS 8500 (one monitor using the DVI port and one monitor using the HDMI port).    Unless someone knows of a particular hardware part number that can successfully drive more than one monitor from either a DVI port or an HDMI port.

I guess that there is some wording that 'additional panels" can be added but I'm not sure quite what that means in the specific case of the XPS 8500...   I'm thinking that it means plug a converter into either the HDMI or DVI port but not sure how that gives us more than 2 monitors.

Just thinking out loud in terms of what is intended for more than 2 monitors in this configuration...

May 19th, 2012 11:00

The responses above indicate that I should have no problem connecting two monitors to my XPS 8500 with 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 graphics card. Using the HDMI socket to connect to my Panasonic Viera TV immediately causes the Dell screen to go blank and a hard restart is needed.

I have no problem with the procedure on an Inspiron 620 where either or both monitors option is no problem.

Any ideas?

May 24th, 2012 02:00

Thanks for the info. I've now got the second monitor working.

2 Posts

June 7th, 2012 09:00

I am going to try and use for 3 monitors - 1 with integrated VGA, 1 with DVI (Radeon) and 1 HDMI (Radeon)  ----   will report back with results...

1 Message

June 8th, 2012 12:00

Were you able, by enabling the onboard VGA, to use two monitors in a non-clone environment?

June 9th, 2012 02:00

Thanks for your reply.

I have now been able to connect the TV via the HDMI socket and have good connection to both TV and PC. Works well.

As an aside, there is no sound connection to the TV audio but I bought the Dell/ Logitec  5:1 speaker system with the PC and the two "rear" speakers have good long leads and sit ideally behind my TV for realistic audio

No Events found!