Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2012 14:00

Dell computer won't connect to Internet or show the option to reinstall Windows

My Dell computer all of sudden won't connect to the Internet via a wired connection. In fact, there isn't a network icon showing up in the task bar, If I go to the network connections page, I will be presented with a blank page (and the device manager page is blank, too). I tried to reinstall Windows but I can't find the option to do that on the setup/boot menu (the one accessable by pressing F8 before going to the Windows screen upon startup). What should I do? Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2012 18:00

Malware will cause problems such as you describe. If your B110 has been hijacked for use as a "zombie" in a botnet, for example, your ability to make system changes, scan processes and the like may have been deliberately disabled.

If you're in the U.S., you can order the XP discs from Dell (if you're the original owner) or buy a set from eBay for a modest fee. Or, you can borrow a Windows XP disc of  the same version (Home or Professional) from someone else, perform the install without activating, and then use the Microsoft product key changer to activate the new install with your Dell product key.

If you have not installed SP3, you have been courting trouble, as SP2 is a sought-after target of cyber-criminals due to its high level of vulnerabilities. To be safe, you should be installing updates and patches at least weekly. Even safer is updating to Windows 7, which has been significantly hardened against cybercrime vis à vis XP.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 21st, 2012 16:00

Try "System Restore" and restore the PC to an earlier date.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  System Restore will not delete any user data, e-mails, etc.  

Depending on what happened the System Restore may take care of it.  

The Dell recovery for Vista/Win 7 systems is F8 at Power On.  At that same point you can press F12 for boot menu and for accessing the Dell hardware diagnostics (and it might be a good idea to run those since you are having problems).

If you are still having problems, post back and include the PC Model Number and OS.  We can't give you specific help without that.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 21st, 2012 19:00

What is the status of the network hardware in Device Manager?

Can you connect to the Internet via wireless?

10 Posts

It's a Dell B110 running XP.

10 Posts

I tried system restore but it did not work. After pressing F8, I didn't see anything that said Dell or Dell hardware diagnostics after pressing F12.

10 Posts

January 21st, 2012 20:00

Nothing is listed in Device Manager. No network hardware, hard drives, nothing. It's just a blank page. I can't connect via wireless either.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 21st, 2012 21:00

Your problem could be due to malware. Or, the system files may be corrupted, in which case you may be able to restore them with the system file checker. (The command is SFC /scannow.)

If your problems are due to malware, it may be easier to perform a clean install of XP.

91 Posts

Did you recently "upgrade" your antivirus software?  The symptoms that you have described are commonly the result of a Firewall blocking local network traffic.  

10 Posts

Nothing has been recently upgraded nor installed.

91 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 12:00

If you don't think it is a firewall issue then why not start with the basics... what operating system do you have?  Was it preinstalled on the computer or did you install it.  was it installed from scratch or was it an 'upgrade' of an existing operating system?  What more computer is it?  Is the wired network card the only network adapter in the system?  Is the network card integrated or an add on?  Etc.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 14:00

The system file checker did not fix it. If I do a clean install of XP, I will need a disc as Dell did not supply them with the B110 (and some other) systems.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 14:00

I would need the full XP disc not the upgrade, right? I tried to reinstall with Windows 98 (it's the only OS that I have) but it won't let me (although I think it might be the upgrade disc).  

91 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 16:00

I think you are giving up on troubleshooting before you actually even started, but a fresh installation of the operating system would certainly rule out the problem being software (thoguth it could still be hardware).

You can request a complete set of recover cds for free (if in the USA, ymmv in other countries) via this link:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

I have received replacements discs for XP (operating system cd, and drivers cd) for machines older than the B110 just a month or so ago.

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2012 16:00

It is basically the same system I bought in 2005. It has the same OS (preinstalled XP SP2), same hard drive, same DVD Rom drive, same network card (add on), same graphics card (intrergrated), processor and so forth. Sometimes I think there is a component in the system that is going faulty due to age.

10 Posts

January 25th, 2012 20:00

now has

No Events found!