Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2017 10:00

Dell optiplex 3010 videocard

Have managed to get the above system for my nephew for his first computer.

It did come with a gtx 710 card but performance is very poor.

Can someone advise the best video card I can use as I have tried a 1050ti mini but wouldn't fit.

He won't be playing anything too major but even slither (snakes grabbing matter) got so laggy when I tried it was impossible.

Thankyou in advance  for any advice.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 09:00

Optiplex 3010 is a bad choice for home use especially for any kind of gaming or videos. That model is meant for Work not Home use so games and video won't run well. The 3010 units have small power supply units so finding a better video card will be difficult and might not make much of a difference in performance since you will be severely limited to a few budget models just like what you have now. An Inspiron with windows 10 would have been a better choice. The 3010 is no longer being sold now. Did you buy it used? See this thread-- en.community.dell.com/.../19542444

February 23rd, 2017 10:00

Yeah was second hand.

I knew wouldn't be great but hoped would give him a start to his computer life as he is excellent on mine aged 5.

Just really would like best idea for a videocard as it now has the gt 710 back in....

185 Posts

March 4th, 2017 08:00

GeForce GT 710 should be more than enough with updated drivers.

You want it to be:

ASUS GeForce GT 710 Silent 1GB GDDR3 Graphics Card

In these machines I used way lower GT 210 & never had any issues (dual HD monitor, Minecraft)

OP3010 is a solid machine, it will last most likely forever, do not listen to what people say! So what that is old or retired model?

With SSD & 8Gb memory (one can even fit 16 Gb - it does work, I HAVE TESTED) it flies

Also Windows 10 (do not bother with Win 7)

And it can also run Mac OS X El Capitan natively (not related to your question)

Read this to fix the Sliter.io speed:

https://www.baagames.com/2016/05/fix-slither-lag-en/

No Events found!