Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2012 18:00

Dimension 2400 missing Multimedia Video Controller

I have XP reinstalled on a Dimension 2400 and I thought I had all the drivers I need.

Wrong. Device Manager shows a yellow mark after "Multimedia Video Controller". No driver installed.

Which driver do I need and where do I find it?

Thanks in advance.

madicus

6.4K Posts

May 21st, 2012 14:00

My Dimension 2400 used to work better with the Springdale driver than the others; the chipset is the 845 GV, which is supposed to be able to use any of the drivers listed on the Dell page, but maybe not always.

You probably already know this, but just in case, you must install the Intel Chipset driver ahead of everything else in order for the rest to install properly.

EDIT:  Is there any chance you have a third party card installed that might be needing a driver?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 20th, 2012 22:00

Did you install a driver for the onboard video?

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Another alternative is to go to Intel's download site and use their automated chipset identity utility.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2012 12:00

@RDUNNILL: Yes. Onboard video driver is installed. Your link leads to an older driver (R86399.exe)

Chipset identifier says:

Chipset: INTEL 845G chipset family

Integrated Graphics: INTEL 82845G graphics controller

My system information shows a missing driver for a "Multimedia Video Controller"

6.4K Posts

May 21st, 2012 19:00

We're very glad we could help.  Best of luck to you.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2012 19:00

@JackShack: You are right! There is an old Creative PC-DVD decoder card on the board that caused the problem! I had a driver for it installed, but it was apparently not the right one. Problem solved! Thankyou guys for your support!

No Events found!