Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2006 22:00

Dimension 4550 - How to Remove Front Panel

Hello all,
Wondering how to remove the front panel on my Dimension 4550.  Can't find instructions for doing this on dell.com.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.
Pete L.

11.9K Posts

April 9th, 2006 23:00

@pete L. wrote:
Hello all,
Wondering how to remove the front panel on my Dimension 4550.  Can't find instructions for doing this on dell.com.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.
Pete L.

Click on the Desktop tab above, then your model, then User Guides.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2006 01:00

Actually, I searched the online User Guides very thoroughly before posting my question to the forum.  I found nothing in the User Guides that explains how to remove the front panel on my machine.  The reason I need to do this is to check the mechanism behind the power button.  I am having intermittent problems turning the PC on.  The button doesn't always work.  My last Dell PC had a similar issue; in that case, the plastic behind the power button was broken.  I need to remove the front panel of my current machine to see if I'm having the same problem.  Can someone from Dell please point me to the actual instructions?  Thanks again.

17 Posts

April 18th, 2006 12:00

Hope this helps. Don't have info how to remove the front panel, however I had similar issues comp not turning on.
When looking at the front of the PC to the right of the on/off button on the inside of the case is a standoff frm the front bezel that needs to snap into the metal part of the case, in my system this poped out and thus pressing the outside button was only flexing the case and not pushing the internal switch.

The way I took the front cover off is first I took the up and down parts and the front cover sort of will tilt open, I did manage to break a 2 small standoffs but for the most part the case is solid.
Wish I had more info but I don't.

11.9K Posts

April 18th, 2006 12:00

@adamtech78 wrote:
Hope this helps. Don't have info how to remove the front panel, however I had similar issues comp not turning on.
When looking at the front of the PC to the right of the on/off button on the inside of the case is a standoff frm the front bezel that needs to snap into the metal part of the case, in my system this poped out and thus pressing the outside button was only flexing the case and not pushing the internal switch.

The way I took the front cover off is first I took the up and down parts and the front cover sort of will tilt open, I did manage to break a 2 small standoffs but for the most part the case is solid.
Wish I had more info but I don't.

Following the directions in the link provided, nothing breaks off.  With the computer open, you can easily release the tabs.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2006 02:00

Thank you for your help.  I received a replacement front panel from Dell last week, and I managed to figure out how to remove the front panel myself.  It wasn't easy, and involved removing the top and bottom panels of the case.  I found that the button on the old panel wasn't pushing in far enough to fully depress the power switch.  I've replaced the front panel now, and the power situation has improved.... but just a little.  The PC still doesn't turn on without pressing the button many times. 

I'm wondering if my problem is really with the power supply.  Any thoughts on this?  Would a failing power supply be difficult (but not impossible) to turn on?  I can easily replace it, but don't want to spend the money on a new power supply if the symptoms I'm experiencing can't be explained by a fault in that part.

Thanks again to all of you.
No Events found!