Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2009 17:00

Dimension 8400 won't turn on

The power button does nothing. It kinda doesn't even feel like there is a switch behind the button, but I don't use this computer often so I'm not certain. I thought it might be the power supply so I swapped that out. Nothing. When you first plug it in, the fan moves for a sec, then stops. There is a little green light that says on in the corner of the motherboard, but nothing else does anything.

Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 9th, 2009 21:00

Ron, I checked the connection in the picture. Indeed it was a little loose, but re-seating it didn't help. The behavior didn't change.

I'm trying now to be able to actually see the power button/switch itself. I've been able to get the back cover off but not the front (which of course is the one covering the switch. I cannot find documentation to assist in this. Do you nkow of any? I already broke a couple of the little plastic bits that hold some of the covers on and don't want to do any more damage!

bdesilva 

The power button and circuit board is one unit. Dell has not published a guide to remove the front bezel of the Dimension 8400, you can use this GUIDE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, it's for an Optiplex GX50 Small Mini Tower, but the procedures are the same.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 11th, 2016 21:00

Thanks,   I suppose if I start feeling stupid enough about setting the clock every time I reboot I could buy a Dell proprietary Y1224 card and just plug the data ribbon in to check the button.  There is a single screw in the back that might give access but I didn't get that far.

Even in its present condition it will make a real good backup computer, it certainly doesn't owe me anything!

dell4600

It sounds like the power button contol panel has issues, as the part is inexpensive, it's worth replacing to see if this makes a difference.

A Dell Y1224 control panel can be purchased from @  4.96 w/free S&H.

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimension-control-panel-card-y1224_i_cpdeldimeny1224.aspx

But, the biggest problem is removing the Dimension 8400 front bezel to install the part.

The power switch and circuit board is one unit. Dell has not published a guide to remove the front bezel of the Dimension 8400, you can use the following insructions.

They are for the Optiplex GX50 Small Mini Tower, but the procedures are the same.

A hint: The Dimension 8400 also, has a Hex headed screw on inside right side of front bezel/panel, just below the front USB ports, holding the front panel to the metal chassis, this MUST be removed and is not mentioned in the guide.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/867157/Dell-Optiplex-Gx50-Systems.html?page=21#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/867157/Dell-Optiplex-Gx50-Systems.html?page=22#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/867157/Dell-Optiplex-Gx50-Systems.html?page=23#manual

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2009 18:00

Does the power button turn green or amber when you press it?  Do any of the diagnostic LEDs on rear of the tower light up when you press the power switch? The green LED on the motherboard means the system is getting some power.

Check the front panel cable and make sure it's connected properly to the motherboard.  The location of the connector on the motherboard is shown here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. It's possible the switch has broken and you would have to replace the front panel.

Ron

107 Posts

YES It could be the button. I think there should be an LED on on the button also. I would download the service manual...go to dell support site

download drivers and info  select model...when you get to the driver page...on the left index select manuals, then on next page click green button on right "get manual"

7 Posts

Thanks for the quick response!

Right now I've got the new Best Buy Dynex power supply hooked up. It has a toggle switch on the back. When I toggle the switch on, the fan comes on for a few seconds, the light on the front button illuminates then flashes green for the same few seconds as does the CD light. Then it goes off. When I press the button, nothing happens. I don't see any diagnostic lights coming on anywhere.

7 Posts

February 8th, 2009 20:00

I should add that is the same behavior with the orig power supply in earlier today.

7 Posts

February 9th, 2009 08:00

Ron, I checked the connection in the picture. Indeed it was a little loose, but re-seating it didn't help. The behavior didn't change.

I'm trying now to be able to actually see the power button/switch itself. I've been able to get the back cover off but not the front (which of course is the one covering the switch. I cannot find documentation to assist in this. Do you nkow of any? I already broke a couple of the little plastic bits that hold some of the covers on and don't want to do any more damage!

7 Posts

February 9th, 2009 08:00

I looked at the service manual,http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/index.htm, but can't find anything to help me with getting to the power switch. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned to Ron's response, I'm trying now to be able to actually see the power button/switch itself. I've been able to get the back cover off but not the front (which of course is the one covering the switch. I cannot find documentation to assist in this. Do you nkow of any? I already broke a couple of the little plastic bits that hold some of the covers on and don't want to do any more damage!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 9th, 2009 12:00

Instructions to remove the front panel on the 8400 were in a post on the old Dell forum before they came up with this "new/improved" forum, and I wasn't able to find them.  But hang in for a bit because I've asked the experts to see who remembers how to do it without  using dynamite or a blow torch. :emotion-2:

Ron

107 Posts

February 9th, 2009 18:00

I wasn't able to find them

there is a service manual...more then likely it is in there, as i suggested a few posts ago.   I have instructions on downloading the service manual

1 Message

February 10th, 2009 17:00

going fixing my friends pc,

Has the same problem, what i think it is, is.

Blown capacitors in my friends pc there is 4 of them blown i think. they have a value of 1000uf at 10v.

Have a look at yours and see if any of the capactiors have a rasied cap on the top.

If you look at them most will be flat if some are rasied its usually a sign they have blow.

1 Message

May 15th, 2011 17:00

The last post in here was 2009,  boy am I lagging behind. Well anyway,  I surfed on in to look for an answer to this same problem, but none of the answers seemed to fit.  My dell did the same thing.   The power botton had this flashing amber light onetime after I shut the computer down, then wouldn't turn on again.  I tried a few things like pulling the plug on the thing waiting  a few minutes and then plugging it back in.  This worked for a time or two, but I encountered the problem often.  It seemed like the computer went into suspend mode and just wouldnt come out.  I finally solved it, by pulling the plug (turning off the strip) after shutting it down.  I havent encountered that problem since I started doing that.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2012 13:00

Hi Manawela, After more then 6 years using my Dimension 8400 without any issue I have finally faced the same problem as everybody in here. My 8400 simply died 3 weeks ago and today my brother's died as well. I have just read your answer in here but I could not understand which plug you pulled turning off the strip. I'm trying to have both computers fixed so could you please be a little more specific about your solution? Thanks a million for your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 11th, 2012 15:00

@Rmcunha - "Pulling the plug" this case means switching off a power strip so the PC gets no power at all.

What specific symptoms are your systems having ? "Died" doesn't tell us much. What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on rear of the 8400 when it won't boot? And what color is the power button, green or amber; steady or blinking?

3 Posts

June 11th, 2012 20:00

By the way, just a last comment I pulled all the cables and connectors off the mother board and plugged them back on just to be sure they were all well plugged but unfortunately that didn't help much.

No Events found!