Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2007 00:00

Dimension E310 won't re boot

I have a dimension E310 that will not boot up. Monitor appears to be stuck in power save mode . Mouse & keyboard are non funtional. Can someone tell me where to start. Do I need to try & re load WindowsXP?

5.8K Posts

November 13th, 2007 04:00

Sounds like you have more basic problems. Does it even start to boot Windows?

What is the color of the power indicator? Is it blinking?

What is the pattern of the diagnostic lights (1-2-3-4 on the front)?

Peter

8 Posts

November 13th, 2007 09:00

Thnak you for the response. It never starts windows but I can hear something running. I believe it is the fan. The power button is solid green . The one , three and four lights are lit but the number two is not.

5.8K Posts

November 13th, 2007 13:00

Then Windows is not the issue. You would not even be able to try to reload it anyway.

Unfortunately, that code is not in the manual. So, I would try the usual:

1. Reseat all cards, cables and RAM
2. If that doesn't help, remove everything that is optional (peripherals, cards, drives, RAM)
3. Try different RAM sticks one at a time
4. Swap in known good RAM, PSU, etc.
5. Try resetting the CMOS settings

It is possible you have a bad motherboard.

Peter

November 13th, 2007 17:00

Just connect the monitor to the power supply without any connection to your PC then see if you get the self monitor test?

Try to get into safe mode by constantly pressing F8 on powering up your PC.

Try that.

5.8K Posts

November 13th, 2007 19:00

The machine won't finish POST, so there is no opportunity to boot anything.

Peter

8 Posts

November 13th, 2007 20:00

The machine doesn't even start post. All I see is a black screen. Everyone I talk to seems to think it is a mother bnoard failure

5.8K Posts

November 13th, 2007 21:00

Yes, it has started POST. The 1-2-3-4 diagnostic lights would all be off otherwise. So, you know that something is working.

Peter

8 Posts

November 13th, 2007 22:00

I also have a Dell  2400. Will the motherboard exchange from it for testing purposes?

8 Posts

Ok. Does the lights also confirm the power supply is good? I have tried the things you recomended earlier and got the same results. Is there anyway to verify the motherboard is bad and if you have no other suggestions are boards sold on sites like newegg compatable with DEll?

5.8K Posts

The PSU seems to be working. You could measure the voltages if you have a voltmeter. Normally when the PSU is bad the power indicator is amber or blinking amber.

The only way to determine the motherboard is bad is by swapping it or by process of elimination. I know there are vendors that sell Dell compatible motherboards, but I don't know about Newegg. In general, you need a special Dell compatible board.

Peter

5.8K Posts

November 14th, 2007 02:00

They are pretty different: different chipsets and memory, so I don't know how useful it will be.

Peter

8 Posts

November 21st, 2007 00:00

I have purchased a recondotioned mother board from Dell and installed it. Now the unit does not appear to begin post. Where as I had a solid green light before and 1,3 & 4 lights now all I get is a solid amber light. Any suggestions?

5.8K Posts

November 21st, 2007 00:00

I would recheck all of the connections and cables. If that doesn't turn up anything, strip it down to the bare minimum (no cards, no drives). If the light is still amber, it looks like the motherboard is bad. Also, make sure you installed the CPU correctly.

Peter

8 Posts

November 21st, 2007 01:00

Can you walk me through the CPU installation?

5.8K Posts

November 21st, 2007 01:00

Didn't you install the CPU when you replaced the motherboard? Instructions are here.

Peter
No Events found!