Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2010 10:00

Dimension E510 Can't Reboot (Blue Screen)

I don't know that much about computers, so please bear with me!

My teenage son was online and our Dell Dimension E510 stopped responding.  He turned off the power strip we use to power the computer, without waiting even a few seconds.  Ever since then, we got a blue screen with the message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" etc. And we can't get it to restart for days now.

The blue screen message goes on to read: "If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or sodtware. Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information: STOP: 0X000000ED (0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)."

And we've tried everything! We tried rebooting, and when we were instructed to select "Start Windows Normally" or "Last Known Good Configuration" or Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking or Safe mode with Command Prompt, nothing mattered. We keep getting that dreaded blue screen.

The thing is, I'd like to possibly disable or remove newly installed software, or whatever we need to do, but every option we select leads us right back to the blue screen.

We do have both Webroot and Norton, and my son is not usually the reckless type, and we were right there, so it wasn't as if he was surfing onto some questionable adult websites, so we don't know how to get things back to how they were.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I would greatly appreciate any help you can give us.   Again, we don't know much about computers, so we were hoping someone here would know the answers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2010 13:00

Jeter530

See if the solution HERE can help.

Also, run Dell Diagnostic's extended test on the hard drive, as the error can be cause by a failed/failing hard drive.

How to Run the Dell Diagnostics Utility

Bev.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2010 14:00

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Bev.  We'll try it tomorrow night when we're available, and see how it goes.  We appreciate your help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2010 14:00

Jeter530

:emotion-21:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 18th, 2010 13:00

Jeter530

The error codes indicate the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

You need to buy a SATA 3.5", 7200rpm, internal hard drive, check out the Western Digital and Seagate brands.

The Dell XP reinstallation disc cannot be downloaded, but if you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Dell may charge for the replacement.

Bev.

4 Posts

August 18th, 2010 13:00

Hey, Bev (or anyone else kind enough to care!):

I've got an update, and a few questions I guess, if you're still around.

We ran a diagnostic, and the blue screen message read:

SATA Disk S/N = a series of numbers

Read test, confidence test, verify test

Con test error code:  0F00:1362

blank media or no media  req.  installation CD

read test error code  0F00:0244

Msg block 47922632:  Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

verify test error code  0F00:1A44

Msg block:  same as read test

We've looked for the original installation CD, but so far, no luck.  Is there something downloadable, from Dell, if we give our name and address and all that?  Or is there something online (but I wonder whether they'd make that available, to anyone, even to a real customewr like me).

Thanks once more for your help!

4 Posts

August 19th, 2010 13:00

First of all, thanks again, Bev.

Wish it was better news.  I saw that a Seagate hard drive, online at least, could go for around $89...?  Is that right?  If so, that's not the end of the world, but since I'm not technically "savvy", I'm understandably very skittish about installing any hardware.  I'm afraid to open up the back of the computer, and not get it back to how it was. 

If I were to go to, say Best Buy, would you have any idea how much they'd charge, installation included?  Or is there a better way? 

Again, I appreciate your kindness here...

5 Posts

August 19th, 2010 13:00

I put a new hard drive in my e510 just a few months ago. I bought it from dell, i believe i only paid about 50-60  western digital 500gb. FWIW

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 19th, 2010 14:00

Jeter530

Cannot say, if $89 is the right price for a Seagate SATA hard drive, as the price can change according to it's GB capacity and model.

The Seagate prices HERE should give you an idea of the prices.

Sorry, I have no idea of the cost of replacing the hard drive and installing Windows, plus loading all the drivers and applications, as I've always done my own [and other peoples] computer repairs, reinstallations, upgrades, etc, etc,.

Give Best Buy a call and see what their cost is, or better still look for a local computer repair shop, you could check with your friends to see if they can recommend one, the only other option is install it yourself.

The procedure for replacing the e510 hard drive is HERE

Bev.

No Events found!