Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2007 21:00

Ethernet on/off switch

Hey folks,

Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing as an ethernet cable "on/off switch", something like an A/B switch that will let you turn off your physical internet connection without having to unplug the cable?  If so, can you point me in the direction of where I could get one?

Thanks.

Message Edited by PiroNaut on 03-29-2007 05:53 PM

807 Posts

March 29th, 2007 22:00

If you use cable internet, Motorola has several cable modems that have a "Standby" button that cuts the connection between PC and web.

635 Posts

March 30th, 2007 00:00

PiroNaut wrote:
Hey folks,

Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing as an ethernet cable "on/off switch", something like an A/B switch that will let you turn off your physical internet connection without having to unplug the cable?  If so, can you point me in the direction of where I could get one?

Thanks.

Message Edited by PiroNaut on 03-29-2007 05:53 PM

Hi PoriNaut,

Easier thing is to just Disable the Network Connection.  Right click on Network Neighborhood and left click Properties. Then right click on Local Area Connection and then left click disable.  That essentially "unplugs" your cable.  When your ready, just "Enable" it and your back and ready to roll.

Good luck!

Bub

Message Edited by BubBowen on 03-29-2007 08:38 PM

34 Posts

March 30th, 2007 08:00

Sensible suggestion, but the last time I tried that something went wrong and it deleted the connection instead of just disabling.  I had to go through a 10-minute process to recreate the connection in order to get it back. 

I like your idea better but I'm afraid going through that mess everytime I try it.   

592 Posts

April 9th, 2007 23:00

Make a shortcut to the network connections with a right click.
A shortcut can be deleted and the original icon is still OK.
I put the shortcut on the desktop for an internet off button as requested.
No Events found!