Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2008 15:00

GX280 will not boot from image CD

I had to put a new hard drive in the GX280 and put an image on it from a bootable company CD.  When it starts it says CAN'T FIND CD DRIVE press F1 to continue or F12 for setup utility.  When I go into F12-setup and check the drives, I see the hard drive and I see the CD-ROM.  What could be the issue?

9.3K Posts

June 4th, 2008 16:00

I'd suggest you talk to your company's IT department to check what's needed after that bootable CD has imaged the drive.

Here at my work I've had a few times that reimaging certain systems would end up not making the first partition active, causing it not to boot. All I had to do in that case was boot to a dos floppy with fdisk and make the boot partition active. After this the system would boot fine. I guess it's a mistake in the scripting in our imaging procedure or so. This is so unique to how your company decides to do it's imaging that I doubt anyone here would be able to assist you.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2008 16:00

The image never got on the new hard drive because the computer says the CD-Rom doesn't exist but it does when I go into setup.

1.7K Posts

June 4th, 2008 17:00

The company image may not work for a home computer. That said, what did the IT people that gave you the disk say?

What in bios is the listing for the drives? Is the cdrom in the boot order before the HD? 

7 Posts

June 10th, 2008 15:00

I suspect when your Hard Drive was formatted the command SmartDrv.exe was not run. You may have to copy that file to the Hard drive in order for the computer to know that there is a CD drive to boot to. I do that via a boot disk that contains the file. After FDisk and Format, I run Smartdrv.exe.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2009 20:00

After some frustrations trying to Boot from a DVD drive I had tried, F2 on main menu > Drives , enabled drives 0(SATA-0) , 1 (SATA-1) , 2(PATA-0), 3(PATA-1).

Saved but setup still displayed not available for both. I had a CD-R drive as drive 0 (end of IDE Cable) , and CD-RW Drive as drive 1 (second connector) , both drives CS pin set, cable plugged into IDE pug on motherboard. I also configured Boot order to start with CD drive, then SATA drive, then Floppy

I had tried swapping cables , etc.. ,  On one test cable setup I used the end conenctor (This worked), I restored my original cable but swapped positions of drives (for cable length) so DVD-RW is drive 0 (end of cable, primary ) , and DVD--R is secondary drive 1 (second connector from end of cable) , and I put my CD into Drive 0 (end of cable, Primary DVD-RW). Both drives have CS option jumper on.

Now everything is working. the Setup Drives menu lists the two CD drives , and I can boot from the Drive 0.

I believe the system can Only Boot from Drive 0 (Primary at end of cable), so check your cables to use the end cable connector from Drive-0 Primary, if you use the second connector, you will be unable to boot, be sure you enable the PATA-0 drive as well (Primary IDE master)

No Events found!