Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2012 14:00

Hotspot Station - What is it?

I just acquired a new computer and it has this Hotspot Station item on it that runs all the time.  What is it and can I uninstall or deactivate it?  It is located in the Dell Wireless/Hotspot folder?

Thanks

gumboman

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 1st, 2012 18:00

Gumboman,

What specific Dell computer? What specific wireless card is installed?

31 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 14:00

Oh when you press the start button it lists the most recently opened software but doesn't mean it's actually running. So nothing to worry about I think.

31 Posts

September 4th, 2012 14:00

You enter any password you want where it says Password and allows you to type - it means that the hotspot is only available to others who know that exact password.

So today I could turn on my hotspot, enter a password such as: mypassword7891 and anyone trying to connect to my hotspot needs that exact password. When I turn off the computer or stop the hotspot software it not longer allows anyone access to the wifi. The next time I start the hotspot I enter another password, it could be the same or different. The password needs to be set everytime you use the software.

Just so it's clear -

If you already have a wifi capability in your modem router or similar then there is no reason to use this at all.

If you only have a wired modem connected directly to your PC using a network patch cable and wish to allow other devices access to share the internet that goes to your PC then you can use the Hotspot software.

31 Posts

December 4th, 2012 05:00

You call it any name you want, eg KillKenny Wireless

then if you're using another device to connect to your desktop wifi hotspot, you search for 'KillKenny Wireless' and off you go.

To be honest I suspect this feature is of little use to most people that have high speed internet as they;l already likely have wireless modem/router. But if you ha cable internet without wireless then your XPS8500 could act as a wifi repeater.

28 Posts

September 1st, 2012 22:00

The computer is the Dell XPS 8500.  I'm not sure what wireless card is installed - how do I tell?  I've only had the computer for a few days, so am still trying to learn it.  Just trying to figure out all the programs starting at start-up and which ones are safe to disable.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 11:00

Send me the service tag number via private message. Click my username and then Start a Conversation.

31 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

I saw it on my XPS8500 and believe it allows your PC to act as a wifi access point to allow other devices to connect to your PC and share it's internet connection.

Suppose you only have a wired internet connection from a cable modem going to your XPS8500, using the hotspot feature makes the XPS8500 become a wireless access point sharing the internet with your other wifi devices (all the time the XPS8500 is running and has this feature active)

28 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 15:00

Does that mean others, outside you home, etc - can also possibly access your network?

31 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 10:00

wireless  wifi is always a potential security risk by the nature of it being transmitted beyond your home so you would secure the hotspot with a password so providing you use a strong password it should prevent others from accessing the network.

28 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  Since I don't need it right now, how would you disable it for now, but be able to re-enable it in the future?

28 Posts

Maybe it was a fresh setup issue - I just setup the computer.  I checked the "Start" button items and it is no longer showing up there.

Thanks

31 Posts

When you say your hotspot is running all the time where are you seeing this? on my XPS8500 I have to go to 'All Programs> Hotspot folder then start the 'Hotspot' software then add my password then hit the start button on the program to activate the hotspot. Unless I do all of those steps the Hotspot is not operating.

Is it showing in the 'startup' folder or just the 'hotspot' folder amongst all other programs in the 'All Programs' menu?

I do wonder whether your hotspot is working all the time?

When I start my Hotspot software and click the help icon I get this info:

HotSpot

Copyright © 2011 QualComm Atheros.
All rights reserved.

HotSpot is an application that allows you to turn your computer into a WIFI hotspot to share the Internet with your friends co-workers and devices. HotSpot utilizes your computers' built in WiFi card to wirelessly share any available Internet connections. Other Wi-Fi enabled devices can see and join your hotspot just like any other Wi-Fi access point and are kept safe and secure by password-protected WPA2 Encryption. Please press START button to enjoy this feature.

28 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 16:00

Ok,

I don't recall setting a password for Hotspot, where do you do that.  I look at Help in the shortcut window, but it does not provide any information.

Thanks

31 Posts

September 4th, 2012 10:00

I click on All Programs then Hotspot folder then click the Hotspot icon to start up the software which starts this:

Where it says Password you enter your own unique password then press the Start button to activate your hotspot.

The Help is by clicking the ? on this program window.

28 Posts

September 4th, 2012 12:00

I can get that window, but I have not yet set a password - where do you set the password for Hotspot?  That's what I am trying to figure out?

No Events found!