Highlighted
Gumboman
Bronze

Hotspot Station - What is it?

Jump to solution

I just acquired a new computer and it has this Hotspot Station item on it that runs all the time.  What is it and can I uninstall or deactivate it?  It is located in the Dell Wireless/Hotspot folder?

Thanks

gumboman

0 Kudos
19 Replies

Re: Hotspot Station - What is it?

Jump to solution

Gumboman,

What specific Dell computer? What specific wireless card is installed?

0 Kudos
Gumboman
Bronze

Jump to solution

The computer is the Dell XPS 8500.  I'm not sure what wireless card is installed - how do I tell?  I've only had the computer for a few days, so am still trying to learn it.  Just trying to figure out all the programs starting at start-up and which ones are safe to disable.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Send me the service tag number via private message. Click my username and then Start a Conversation.

0 Kudos
danw71
Silver

Jump to solution

I saw it on my XPS8500 and believe it allows your PC to act as a wifi access point to allow other devices to connect to your PC and share it's internet connection.

Suppose you only have a wired internet connection from a cable modem going to your XPS8500, using the hotspot feature makes the XPS8500 become a wireless access point sharing the internet with your other wifi devices (all the time the XPS8500 is running and has this feature active)

0 Kudos
Gumboman
Bronze

Jump to solution

Does that mean others, outside you home, etc - can also possibly access your network?

0 Kudos
danw71
Silver

Jump to solution

wireless  wifi is always a potential security risk by the nature of it being transmitted beyond your home so you would secure the hotspot with a password so providing you use a strong password it should prevent others from accessing the network.

0 Kudos
Gumboman
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  Since I don't need it right now, how would you disable it for now, but be able to re-enable it in the future?

0 Kudos
danw71
Silver

Jump to solution

When you say your hotspot is running all the time where are you seeing this? on my XPS8500 I have to go to 'All Programs> Hotspot folder then start the 'Hotspot' software then add my password then hit the start button on the program to activate the hotspot. Unless I do all of those steps the Hotspot is not operating.

Is it showing in the 'startup' folder or just the 'hotspot' folder amongst all other programs in the 'All Programs' menu?

I do wonder whether your hotspot is working all the time?

When I start my Hotspot software and click the help icon I get this info:

HotSpot

Copyright © 2011 QualComm Atheros.
All rights reserved.

HotSpot is an application that allows you to turn your computer into a WIFI hotspot to share the Internet with your friends co-workers and devices. HotSpot utilizes your computers' built in WiFi card to wirelessly share any available Internet connections. Other Wi-Fi enabled devices can see and join your hotspot just like any other Wi-Fi access point and are kept safe and secure by password-protected WPA2 Encryption. Please press START button to enjoy this feature.

0 Kudos
Gumboman
Bronze

Jump to solution

Maybe it was a fresh setup issue - I just setup the computer.  I checked the "Start" button items and it is no longer showing up there.

Thanks

0 Kudos