Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 17th, 2004 07:00

How To Enable SoundMax Control Panel and Hardware Sounds

Hi all

Just a little tip here that seems to have worked for me in regard to Dimension 8300 and it's ADI SoundMax onboard sound card.

The bundled packages from Dell seem to be cut down versions of the software available via other motherboard vendors using the same audio chipsets and codecs. The codec in Dimension 8300 is ADI SoundMax 1980 so I downloaded a full set of drivers from a another mobo manufactuer (ASUS and m/b P4PE-X I think) and installed those. Once installed I used the Windows XP control panel to update the SoundMax driver only to the latest Dell version shipped with the resource CD.

This seems to have worked OK and using 3D Mark 03 now reports that Supported 3D Hardware sounds are available and the driver is WHQL certified whereas before it was not. You also have access to the SoundMax settings on the taskbar if required and a SoundMax Control Panel applet.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2004 14:00

Just a comment.  Using Non-Dell supplied drivers, BIOS, etc, potentially can void the warranty, if there is a problem and Dell warranty support is needed.  I'm not saying it will, just that the potential is there because non-Dell supplied drivers were used on a custom Dell OEM device (on many devices you cannot use other drives - they won't even load).   

I do part-time computer support/repair and I've had customers call because they installed drivers that were not specifically designed for their device and had problems (on various PC brands - not just Dell) and the PC vendor's support would not assist them until they had it back to the orignal vendor supplied (driver) configuration.

Message Edited by fireberd on 03-17-2004 11:40 AM

30 Posts

March 17th, 2004 14:00

That's a fire comment. The drivers seem to work OK and are for the ADI 1980 codec, whether it voids a warrenty is another matter!

30 Posts

March 18th, 2004 15:00

Sorry! My typing let me down - I meant FAIR comment! Sorry about that.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 18th, 2004 15:00

This was not intened to be a flame.  There are many (probably majority) users that read the forum that only have limited PC skills and not knowledgeable about using system tweaks, driver versions, etc. 

March 23rd, 2004 09:00

I downloaded the latest drivers (version 3665) for the Asus P4PE-X. I ran setup and I got a 'driver not found. Please reboot and try again' error. I went into control panel and updated the soundmax driver by hand and that worked but I don't have access to the soundMax options panel you described and I can't upmix stereo sound to output on all speakers. Could you describe again how you went about doing what you described.

Cheers

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2004 09:00

Ah, that motherboard might not be the correct one! Try:

http://www.asus.com.cn/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=15&l3_id=21&m_id=1&f_name=adiwdm_3533whql.zip~zaqwedc

If that's not right I can plonk the ZIP that I used onto a webserver for you.

Let me know!

M.

March 23rd, 2004 10:00

will do! Unfortunately I'm restricted to dial up at the moment so this could take a while! Thanks for your help though. Appreciated

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2004 10:00

OK

March 26th, 2004 11:00

Unfortunately, same error as before. I don't really understand what it means, since it doesn't say what driver can't be found. Looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade from the pretty useless on board sound to enjoy proper control over my system.

30 Posts

March 26th, 2004 12:00

Hmmm, I've plonked the version I used here:

http://www.appstation.co.uk/temp/adi_soundmax.zip

These are for the Dimension 8300 with an ADI 1980 SoundMax CODEC.

Other than that, if these blighters don't work then I'm stumped!

M.

April 13th, 2004 09:00

Got the file, thanks, but still getting the same error. I was browsing the boards again and some people seem to be recommending that I reinstall the chipset drivers to get around the 'driver not found error' I'll give that a go when i get home.

No Events found!