Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2012 16:00

How do I replace a failed SATA drive.

I have a Dimension E520 and the hard drive has failed. Hard drive diagnostics reports and error code 7. I have bought a new 320gb drive and replaced the old one expecting it to detect the new drive and go through the partitioning and formatting. The system can not see the drive. I have tried booting from the DELL instillation CD with no joy even after changing the boot order to boot from the CD. Can any one tell me how to get the new disc recognised and Windows XP reinstalled. In the BIOS the SATA drives the hard drives are connected to are turned on.

Any help would be appreciated, I am sure I am missing something simple.

Steve

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 29th, 2012 11:00

I think there must be a problem with the new drive. Did you buy it at a local store?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 28th, 2012 16:00

Hi Steve,

You can follow these nice instructions to reinstall XP.

11 Posts

February 29th, 2012 03:00

Hi I attempted to follow the instructions but I still have a problem in that the drive is not recognised. I need to be able to run a 'manufactures' application. I downloaded the SATA file R158600 on another pc and stored it on a memory stick which I put into the USB port when prompted to 'Please insert the disk 'Manufacturer Supplied Hardware Support disc into drive A (only the CD/DVD is accessible). At this point I can go no further as pressing enter does not rune the driver file. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

February 29th, 2012 04:00

Hi I attempted to follow the instructions but I still have a problem in that the drive is not recognised. I need to be able to run a 'manufactures' application. I downloaded the SATA file R158600 on another pc and stored it on a memory stick which I put into the USB port when prompted to 'Please insert the disk 'Manufacturer Supplied Hardware Support disc into drive A (only the CD/DVD is accessible). At this point I can go no further as pressing enter does not rune the driver file. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Have you tried pressing F2 at boot, and going into your BIOS to see if your new drive there. If your adding it as a second HD, then follow the instructions below.

When you see the Dell splash screen, Press F2, go into your BIOS, Highlight the drive and press enter to enable it. Then save and exit into windows. Then go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management. Then right click your new drive, select format. From there you can assign the drive an letter.

11 Posts

February 29th, 2012 07:00

Hi I just have the new drive the old one crashed. When going into setup the new drive i.e. the only hard drive is not recognised. The Sata-0 position is turned on but Drive ID is unknown.  Thanks for your reply but the problem is the Setup does not recognise the new unformated or partitioned drive and there does not seem to be any way to partition and format the drive.

Thanks

Steve

11 Posts

February 29th, 2012 10:00

in the Bios I changed the setting from 'RAID ON' to 'RAID Autodetect/ATA (the only two options). Rebooted using DELL  XP recovery CD. Accepted XP Licence agreement, The screen showing existing and unpartitioned sections has four Unknown Disk entries each one saying 'There is no disk in this drive'. I will try the RAID solution but  where do I get the drivers and how do I run them on the PC as there is no hard drive and no floppy drive.

Thanks

Steve

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Steve,

The drive will be partitioned and formatted during the Windows installation process.

You either need to set the SATA controller to ATA mode in the BIOS, or you need to install the RAID drivers when prompted to do so. In the instructions, he describes the point at which the RAID drivers must be installed.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, there's definitely some other problem. Do you have any other drives in this desktop? If so, I would disconnect them.

Also please tell me the exact model of the new drive you bought.

11 Posts

The only drive is the new drive 'Maxtor Maxline III, Model 7L320s0  320GB SATA150 HDD 3.5 inch'. The original that failed was 'Western Digital WD2500JS  SATA Model  WD2500JS-75NC83'.

Does this help?

11 Posts

No Amazon. I will try a drive from another source and if it works I will return the current drive to Amazon for a refund. Thanks for all your help and patience.

11 Posts

The new drive is plugged into the same power and data cable that the original HD used. If I remove the new drive and connect the failed original it can see it on SATA 0.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Are you sure you plugged the new drive into SATA port 0 and you've got both the data and power cables connected?

11 Posts

February 29th, 2012 14:00

I have tried another new unformated drive, It is detected and I am currently restoring the computer.  Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully I can return the just purchased drive to Amazon for a refund.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 29th, 2012 16:00

Ok, that's good to hear. Amazon in my experience is very good about returns.

Good luck with the new drive.

11 Posts

February 29th, 2012 17:00

The new drive installed OK but as drive H not drive C. Drive C to F are the card 'drives'. How do i get back to the situation that the local drive is drive C?

No Events found!