Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 20-3052, Bios update, computer will not do anything

So I upgraded my bios because the dell update assistant said I had an update. So now my Dell Inspiron 20 model 3052 will not do anything. The power light comes on and that is it. It stays orange. I have downloaded the iso for it. But even the repair disk isn't working. I have no idea what to even do.

17 Posts

June 4th, 2017 10:00

My 4 digit pin wasn't working. I had to reset my Microsoft account password.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 5th, 2017 11:00

FYI:

This is my understanding of Dell's Warranty:

Out-of-warranty systems = replacement motherboard, 90 day warranty

In- warranty systems = replacement motherboard, warranty lasts until system's original warranty ends

219 Posts

June 6th, 2017 15:00

OK, here's my summary. I called Dell Out of Warranty service and explained my problem on 5/18. I received a box on 5/20. I shipped it back on 5/25 and it was received by Dell on 5/30. They shipped it back on 6/1 and I received it on 6/5. I thought that whole process went very smoothly and timely. But when I opened the package, anxious to see how it responded, I found the power supply and cord were not in the package. I immediately called Dell to advise them of their oversight and to request they overnight my power supply to me. Well, overnighting it was out of the question, they would need 3 to 5 days to research the problem. I explained that was unacceptable. I met a lot of resistance but finally she said she would call the next day (i.e. today) to advise me of the status of my request. She didn't call. I just got off the phone with Dell talking with another rep. He said the power supply would be returned to me, but it would be 3 to 5 days. I hope I can trust that they will follow through. This customer service organization is really tough to work with. As soon as I get a power supply, I'll update my status to include whether the computer works or not. There's been no mention of any charge, so hopefully my out of warranty computer will be taken care of free of charge. Now, if I can just get my power supply back.

219 Posts

June 10th, 2017 13:00

OK, After calling to tell Dell they returned my computer, but not my Power Supply on Monday 6/5, they returned my original power supply. That surprised me, I expected to get somebody else's. They over-nighted it and I got it on Thursday, 6/8. I powered it up, worked perfectly. I didn't have any password problems like Yolandrac1 had mentioned. It went through an update immediately after I turned it on and installed Windows 10 Creator's Build. So, after a miserable Dell Bios Update attempt on Friday May12th, I've got a functional computer again four weeks later on Thurs Jun 8th.What a hassle, but at least Dell picked up the financial tab, we just had to deal with the uncertainty and lack of computer for a month. At least it's over. Yay.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2017 17:00

Dell killed my 500$ computer with an infected bios update and asked me for 1000$ to fix it. I have bought my dell computer on 13.11.2016 and after that bios update i called dell, they asked me for 1000$ to fix it, they said my warranty is expired on 15.10.2016. my warranty expired one month before i buy the computer. After paying 1000$ to fix my 500$ computer that i used for 6 months only and dell damaged it with an infected bios update. dell needs two months to fix the machine. 30 days without my computer that dell damaged with an infected bios update. 30 days my business affected. My data lost. 30 days on waiting.

6 Posts

July 19th, 2017 14:00

They did this for me also.  It did work okay when I first got it.  Decided to reset to factory settings and it is now dead again.  

11 Posts

November 24th, 2017 13:00

219 Posts

mctin, I can't comment about the level of Dell's moderation, but this thread is over 6 months old. It was started in response to a corrupt BIOS that Dell sent out. Dell took responsibility and replaced all the motherboards which were ruined. For me, the whole process took about a week or so, I would recommend Dell computers to anyone. I was very pleased with Dell's action in response to an issue they created. It shouldn't have happened, but it did, and they fixed it.

11 Posts

Guys,

I was reading this while deciding whether to buy a Dell product or not. This has me doubting a lot...

Anyway, I am not sure if this was mentioned in previous comments, but here is a way to re-flash a corrupt BIOS for Inspiron (not sure about the particular model, but should be a good start).

Also, this may also prove useful: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

Please, post back if you succeeded in finding a way to recover your system.

Good luck,

M

11 Posts

@shelquis Thank you for your response. I edited my question to leave that part out, because I realize that the context is more nuanced that it appeared at first glance. I am glad you had it repaired.

Best wishes,

M

No Events found!