Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2011 14:00

Inspiron 530 Vista won't start

was working up until today, shut it down last nite b4 bed, now it won't POST (can't even get to dell screen)....CPU blue light will come on, sometimes it will cycle on/off, but nothing to monitor,  keyboard light is working.   did the unplug/plug thing....the troubleshooter dell has online recommends unseating and reseating the memory and then the hard drive.  is this worthwhile, or could it be a problem with the video card?  or should I just do what it says and reseat the memory (PCI card first per manual) and then the hard drive?  in the past, the cycle on/off thing would happen occasionally, but after one or two tries the system would boot.  Now, I am getting the start up "beep", but nothing to monitor.  Suggestions? (HELP!)

Desperate in Floriduh

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 16th, 2011 14:00

patcaboli

Assuming that you have the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower version.

Yes, you need to try the solutions listed in the Troubleshooter and see if it makes a difference.

Also, try disconnecting all the peripherals, except the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

If there's a video card installed, disconnect the monitor cord from the card and connect it to integrated ghaphics port and see if this can make a difference.

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, or Blinking Blue?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Has any changes been made to the 530 recently?

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

Bev.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2011 15:00

thanks for the reply....am in the midst of getting the PCI express card out now so I can yank the memory cards.  then will go to the HD per the troubleshooter guide.

the light was steady blue, but on some attempts to reboot would cycle on/off about 10 sec. intervals.

no hardware changes....I run Norton 360 and it is quarantining virus pretty regularly, so I'm not suspecting a virus...

I'll have to brush up on the video card...I'm not sure...there's not one externally, and I don't see any on motherboard....

I'm here chugging away at it though...will keep posted, thanks a lot!

3 Posts

February 16th, 2011 18:00

Fantastic news....I followed the Dell troubleshooting advice (opened the chassis, removed/reinstalled the PCI card, the memory cards, and the hard drive) plugged everything back in, and it fired right up!  it isn't even "slowing", like it was before...plus I removed about a lb. of dustbunnies....hopefully this will fix it for years to come...thanks for your advice

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 16th, 2011 18:00

patcaboli

You are welcome and I'm happy to hear that the issues have been resolved.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!