Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2012 10:00

Inspiron 530S BIOS Problem

Dell Inspiron 530S, Windows Vista 32 bit,  4GB RAM.

I am trying to upgrade the BIOS on my Inspiron 530S and get an error that reads:

"BIOS bin file was not for this system"

My current BIOS is 1.0.15 and I am trying to upgrade to the 1.0.18 version.

I am using the 530_1018.exe file from the DELL downloads.

This system is running an "Intel Boot Agent GE V1.2.50" that I want to remove.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 13:00

Fill in the blanks... What have you done and tried in the last 8 months?

Have you installed a hard drive? Can you boot from a bootable CD or DVD...?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 21st, 2012 11:00

It's best not to install bios when you get errors. You can brick your computer. Make sure you do not use the Download Manager when downloading bios files. That will cause errors. Use your browser and skip the download manager.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 21st, 2012 12:00

Can you explain why you want to remove the Intel Boot Manager Agent?

You may have an incorrect setting for the Boot Drive Configuration in  BIOS Setup. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 09:00

Mary - Thank you for the suggestions.  I am able to download the software successfully via my browser.  The Error occurs when I try to install the update on my PC.

Thanks,

-Kevin

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2012 10:00

Ron – Thank you for the help.  I adopted this PC with no Hard Disks so I have no knowledge of its past.

I am not able to stop the Intel Boot Agent from running.  

The Boot Agent does not appear in the BIOS list of boot devices.

While the PC Boots  Ctrl+S gets me to the Intel Boot Agent configuration menu.

The only setting I can modify in the Boot Agent is to display the Splash Screen or Not.

Changing the Boot order in the BIOS or by pressing F12 does not take effect.

I thought the present BIOS may be for a Server that boots from a network and has additional security.

Now I am trying to overwrite the BIOS and I can not.

What do you think?

Thanks,

-Kevin

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2012 17:00

Intel Boot Agent won't appear in BIOS. But if LAN (or NIC) is listed in the boot sequence in BIOS that will cause the Boot Agent to attempt to boot via a network connection. You need to put a hard drive, that's connected to the SATA-0 port on the motherboard, with Windows loaded on it as first in the boot sequence.

Are you saving the change before you exit BIOS setup? If changes aren't "sticking", it's possible the motherboard battery is weak/dead so the settings revert to factory defaults and any changes you make aren't saved.

14 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 08:00

Ron - LAN is not listed in the BIOS boot sequence.  I have a hard drive connected and the PC boots from this disk after I cancel / abort the network boot.  I can make changes to the BIOS and they remain after a reboot.  It just appears that the PC ignores the Boot Order listed in the BIOS and always trys the Intel Boot Agent first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Kevin

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 11:00

Is On-board LAN Boot ROM set to Disabled in BIOS setup? 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

14 Posts

December 16th, 2012 10:00

Hi Ron - I am still having this problem.  The BIOS Onboard LAN Boot ROM is set to "Disabled".

Thanks,

-Kevin

14 Posts

December 30th, 2012 11:00

Ron Thank you for all the help.

I just resolved the Network Boot issue by downgrading to the original BIOS version and removing the battery for 1 hour.  Downgrading the BIOS required booting from a USB memory stick and interrupting the automated installation process.  I found this thread useful:

en.community.dell.com/.../19265195.aspx

For the last 8 months I used the PC without connecting it to a network.

I used the PC exclusively for converting the family home VHS tapes to digital format.  Now I plan to put the PC on the home network and share the videos.  

Thank you for all the help.

Have a great New Year.

-Kevin

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 30th, 2012 15:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!