Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2010 17:00

Inspiron 546s wont turn on

Having a problem with an Inspiron 546s that's only a few months old. For some reason it wont power on, I"ve tried unplugging everything connected to it, and when I connect the power cord to it an orange light is visible inside and the green light on the back is on, at least until I hit the power button, I hear a noise and the green light on the back goes out and nothing else happens. I've tried using a different power cords and different power outlets but still cant get it to turn on.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 19:00

spexx117

Is the power button LED, Solid White, Solid Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Have you made any changes to the 546s recently?

Bev.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 20:00

The power button is off, the most I can get the comp to do is I hit the power button, the 2 fans inside come on for a split second and then its like all power is cut off. Only light that pretty well stays on is an amber light inside on the motherboard. Even the green power light on the back goes out.

And nope, no changes have been made that I know of. Its my moms computer and she just uses it to check her email/facebook, stuff like that.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 21:00

spexx117

As the power button LED is not lite and there are no 'Beeps',  this could indicate a failed power supply.

You could could try opening the case and check that all the power connectors are properly connected, by removing and reconnecting them, then see if this makes a difference.

No difference,  try installing a new TFX power supply, if the 546s has a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement.

Bev. 

No Events found!