Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2011 09:00

Inspiron 620 MT Power button driving me crazy (hit and miss response)

My Inspiron 620 desktop is only a few weeks old..From the moment I started using it I noticed Power button was  responding very badly ..after fiddling with it ( pushing few times) it would power the system..so I informed the Dell ..they sent their technician with a new  front panel and a power switch..after fitting the new components ..same thing ..it would only power the system after a few fiddley pushes..he was puzzled and went away saying he would inform Dell. So I am stuck with the problem...Funny thing is the problem is worse when I try to power the system first thing in the morning or after a long Off period..once I manage to power the system ,rest of the day I don't seem to have the same problem..I am wondering..if the problem has nothing to do with the Power button but some other component..Am I the only person experiancing this problem ? Any ideas before I send the pc back to Dell ?

February 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Guys,

I have the solution ! ! ! !

I extended my warranty  for another two years at the cost of £70.00

I went to Dell Support Chat.

Following the advice of the technician I upgraded the System board driver and then updated the system Bios.

Re-started the PC and everything is now PERFECT.

Starts up first press of the Power button EVERY TIME.

You might be able to do this without the help of a Dell technician.

Good Luck,

Hope you all get this fix.

Regards,

Paul

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2014 14:00

The power supply is plugged into the mother board, and I have jumped pins 15/16 (green/black) with a paper clip. I can see and hear that it is running, hard drive chattering, but no response to the monitor or keyboard/mouse - they act like computer is off. Thanks for your help so far but I'm just frustrated and none of these suggestions are working and the thought of a new computer for this stupid problem is extremely irritating. I tried the red switch on the back of the power supply back and forth like one person said but I don't know which it's supposed to be on, nor do I remember which it was on since it was dark and using a flashlight. Should it be on 115 or 230?

RathbunFamily

Voltage setting depends which country you reside in?

Where do you live?

If it's the US, or Canada, the setting is 115v

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2011 09:00

What country are you in?

What color is the power button in on/off/sleep mode?

Is the 110/220 switch set wrong on the back?  Not all Dells have this and if you are not sure I would not mess with it.

How does it respond if you remove EVERYTHING except the power cord?

Does it turn on and off easily then?

Replacing the Front Panel DOES NOT replace the power Switch.  Its behind the panel.

power button module

power button module tabs (4)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 28th, 2011 10:00

Contact Dell Support again and request a replacement computer.

6 Posts

December 28th, 2011 12:00

I am in UK

110-220 in correct position when delivered ( UK 220) and never touch it

Front panel was replaced  because one corner was loose fit and making a buzzing noise ( it is OK now)

Even after fitting a new switch by Dell engineer it took him a few fiddly pushing to Power the pc ..he too was puzzled and would report it to Dell ..I am sure it is a design problem ..looking at it when engineer removed the front panel ..a micro switch behind a removable panel ?? or maybe starter unit is not responding to switch command ??

I stiil have a problem to Power the PC mostly first thing in the morning or after a long rest period (God knows why )

My honest opinion ...I am very disappointed with Inspiron 620 desktop casing and design..it looks cheap plastic..not so robust and strong..my spare desktop is Dimension ..still running with no problems after seven years ..built strong -robust and quality..sorry to say I can not say the same for Inspiron desktop..come on Dell, you can do better as good as your monitors

PS :As Mary G suggested if the problem is not resolved I will ask Dell either a replacement unit or my money back

6 Posts

December 29th, 2011 06:00

I think I know the problem..thanks to my son who has a knowledge of computing sciense..his suggestion " your Power on problem has nothing to do with Power switch,especially having the same problem after a new switch fitted..micro power switch does not start the whole system,it only sends a signal to motherboard in order to start the whole system..the green light at the back of the tower and the red light inside is on so there is power available..microswitch sends the signal but motherboard does not respond, it is either faulty or there is a bad contact somewhere  and this always happens first thing in the morning or after a long off period when the system is coolest..once you manage to power on the  the system after several attempts, no problem with power off-on..also recently system has started shutting itself off  for no apparent reason..so send it back to Dell for a replacement" which I informed the DELL

October 30th, 2012 18:00

I'm a female artist and don't know anything about computers...not technically savvy at all.  I guess my creative genius streak helped me today.  I've had the same problem with my Dell Inspirion 620's start button ever since I bought it.  Thus, I never turned my pc off after about 10 times of the problem over the past year that I've owned it.  I happened to get a weird sound program installed from a virus or something (randomly plays the Emergency Broadcast System alert, gangsta interviews, Superman movie ad, anything annoying) so I thought I would try to shut down and restart, as I never shut down because of the start button problem.  I accidentally shut down without restart, and I was unable to get the start button to work.  I call DELL in Denial's help line, and of course they simply tell me I need to replace the start button.  I research the problem online, and I see this is a very common occurence, and I'm thinking, "why would I buy another defective button?"

I saw this thread, and the post about checking the 110/115 red switch in the back above the power supply.  I decided to mess around with it.  My numbers are not 110/115, I think they are 130/120, or something like that.  I used a paperclip to flip it to the opposite number, and I noticed that there were no power lights inside the cpu, so at least those were working when set on the other number, so I flipped it back to the number it arrived with.  I don't know why, inuition maybe, I decided to try the start button....and it worked without a problem.  Very smooth and no hesitation....like a real start button should work.  I am back up with no problems.

I don't know what that number switch in the back is for, but I'm going to look it up.  Maybe the problem is that it needs to be reset.  Worked for me...could someone else please try this and let me know if it works for them?  The fact that this has me back on without spending more money on another bad part, makes me wonder if DELL is scamming replacement button parts.  This is a very simple solution that they refuse to share with us.  Leave it to a technically-dumb girl to figure out the solution!  Sometimes my ADHD can be very helpful when I am determined and hyperfocus on fixing something I am very pissed off about.  This is my last DELL because of this, and I was an extremely loyal customer. 

And bad news travels fast.

October 30th, 2012 18:00

Is the 110/220 switch set wrong on the back?

Thank you for mentioning this....because of your suggestion:

I'm a female artist and don't know anything about computers...not technically savvy at all.  I guess my creative genius streak helped me today.  I've had the same problem with my Dell Inspirion 620's start button ever since I bought it.  Thus, I never turned my pc off after about 10 times of the problem over the past year that I've owned it.  I happened to get a weird sound program installed from a virus or something (randomly plays the Emergency Broadcast System alert, gangsta interviews, Superman movie ad, anything annoying) so I thought I would try to shut down and restart, as I never shut down because of the start button problem.  I accidentally shut down without restart, and I was unable to get the start button to work.  I call DELL in Denial's help line, and of course they simply tell me I need to replace the start button.  I research the problem online, and I see this is a very common occurence, and I'm thinking, "why would I buy another defective button?"

I saw this thread, and the post about checking the 110/115 red switch in the back above the power supply.  I decided to mess around with it.  My numbers are not 110/115, I think they are 130/120, or something like that.  I used a paperclip to flip it to the opposite number, and I noticed that there were no power lights inside the cpu, so at least those were working when set on the other number, so I flipped it back to the number it arrived with.  I don't know why, inuition maybe, I decided to try the start button....and it worked without a problem.  Very smooth and no hesitation....like a real start button should work.  I am back up with no problems.

I don't know what that number switch in the back is for, but I'm going to look it up.  Maybe the problem is that it needs to be reset.  Worked for me...could someone else please try this and let me know if it works for them?  The fact that this has me back on without spending more money on another bad part, makes me wonder if DELL is scamming replacement button parts.  This is a very simple solution that they refuse to share with us.  Leave it to a technically-dumb girl to figure out the solution!  Sometimes my ADHD can be very helpful when I am determined and hyperfocus on fixing something I am very pissed off about.  This is my last DELL because of this, and I was an extremely loyal customer.

And bad news travels fast.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2012 09:00

Hi startsbuttonsolution, have just tried your suggestion of flicking the switch back and forwards and it appears to do the trick. Did you have the power connected when you did this ? Time will tell if it works ok tomorrow. Anyway so far so good. I am a loyal customer too and will call Dell to discuss to see what their official comment is.

5 Posts

December 17th, 2012 20:00

This worked, thank goodness.  Thank you for sharing. Very disappointed and would definitely affect my next purchase.  Low use machine less than 18 months old.

5 Posts

January 7th, 2013 19:00

I had the same problem, and unfortunately DELL is not ready to help because the warranty period is done. though the issue was reported with in the warranty period it was not yet resolved.  I would suggest  return the system to DELL.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2013 21:00

I have been having the same issue and took it into a local repair shop. They told me it was a defective power button assembly, a part that they could not get. I am going to try your suggestion. Did you have the computer plugged in when you switched the red tab back and forth?

4 Posts

January 10th, 2013 08:00

No make sure power is off else you will blow a fuse (if your have a UK plug the fuse will blow in the power cable else in the box itself). I did say earlier that flicking the switch back and forwards did the trick which it did but after a while it stopped working again - cheap components I suspect. I was still under warranty so called Dell and they said you have 2 options:-

1. Send box back to them and they will replace free of charge

2. Pay £80 (plus VAT) for an extended 2 year warranty taking it to 3 years all told. They then sent around an engineer to replace the power buton and all OK now.

The bottom line is that I could have sent in my PC to Dell for repair (via courier could be expensive ) but then you are not sure about your data, personal files etc. I opted for the £80 option and all ok as the repair is done on site at your house. The engineer was excellent and I am sure those who are outside their warranty period could find someone locally for a cheaper price than £80 but then you don't have cover if it happens again. My way I am out of pocket £80 but have peace of mind for another 2+ years. 

5 Posts

January 10th, 2013 09:00

I offered to customer care, that I will take warranty. But they denied to give warranty as the system is out of warranty. Now I am trying to get fix with local. They still diagnizing the issue; However, unfortunately,  I do not have personal computer since November 2012. I am thinking to consult with consumer court soon.

1 Message

January 19th, 2013 14:00

Well, clearly something's up with these computers - because mine was just not turning on either, even with the interior light working - but THANKFULLY that red switch trick worked for me too! I recommend unplugging it first. Thanks for the tip. I may end up with a new one soon, but at least I can retrieve my data now.

No Events found!