Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron One 2305 - Error message said hard drive parameter exceeded for a few days and now computer is locked up

I have a two year old Inspiron 2305. Started getting an error message saying a hard drive parameter had been exceeded and that I should run a back up which I did. Also ran a virus scan and it found nothing. When I hit F1 to continue as suggested in the error message, the computer continued to work but it was slower. Computer got slower and the error message would pop up every now and then. Deleted a bunch of unneeded files which seemed to help some but system shows there is plenty of space available on the hard drive. This morning the computer is locked up. When I power on, the cursor blinks but keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. When I hit F2 the setup utility opens and I can select different fields with the keyboard but now I am unsure what to try? Hate to buy a new computer so soon. Can this one be repaired? Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 18th, 2013 17:00

Sounds like the hard drive failed. Since the system is 2 years old, it's probably not under warranty, so you'll have to buy and install a new SATA hard drive.  At least you backed everything up. :emotion-21: Instructions to remove and replace the hard drive are on page 35, here, Be sure to read and follow all the instructions.

You'll have to format the new drive, install Windows, hardware drivers, Microsoft Service Packs and other updates, and your software. You can use this detailed Wiki by one of the forum Rockstars to guide you though the process.

If this isn't something you can do on your own, maybe you have a geeky friend you trust, or find a reliable PC repair shop to do it for you.

No Events found!