Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BZ

August 2nd, 2000 18:00

Lightning - Acts of God

Just to vent a little
I have assisted 2 friends in buying a Dell computer (and was ready to help 3 others in a purchase). One even paid the 100 bucks to get extra 2 years onsite service.
She had her house hit by lightning which fried her modem.
There does not appear to be any other damage.She bought a new modem and all is working fine.
The problem is that Dell voided her three years of Service and the Warranty completely because of the lightning hit.
Dell is saying that only at the owners expense, quoted as hundreds of dollars, will Dell come to the house to recertify the rest of the computer for warranty purposes.
This of course is very unreasonable to the PC owner and appears to me to be just an excuse to get out of the service contract. I can't believe Dell would not work with a valued customer to get this resolved.
I agree that any damage done by the lightning is on the owner but to just void the service contract and the warranty is very unreasonable on Dell's part. This is NOT the policy of Gateway or IBM, only Dell.

As you would expect I will not be helping anyone else buy a Dell and am letting a lot of other people here at First Union aware of this event.

169 Posts

August 3rd, 2000 00:00

This is a case of someone getting too big, and forgetting about the folks that got them there. A number of things have changed recently in the way that Dell does business, and it is only a matter of time before it starts to show in customer satisfaction ratings and slowed sales. Perhaps then they will sit back and review, then return to doing things right to recapture lost positions in the PC race.
I just unpacked a new L667r that had never been tested at the factory prior to shipping, in direct contrast to advertised procedures. System shipped in less than 24 hrs from order time, and interior cabling was just awful. Had they even tried to test it, they would have discovered that cable was in direct contact with CPU cooling fan, causing horrendous racket. Cable was wedged between power supply and fan, so they can't even try to convince me that situation developed in shipping. Had to swing power supply out to release cable. Minor inconvenience for someone not unfamiliar with PC interiors, but a d*** nuisance for an inexperienced first time buyer. Perhaps next three scheduled purchases, another vendor will be a little more attentive to quality and detail. No more Dell in my business.
No Events found!