Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 19th, 1999 19:00

NVRAM

I replaced my Sportster 28.8 with a USR 56K Voice Faxmodem, and now in the boot sequence I see "NVRAM invalid, NVRAM cleared." What does this mean, and how can I get the issue cleared up, so it doesn't come upduring the boot sequence?

1.1K Posts

November 25th, 1999 21:00

What system is this on? You are getting the message most likely because you installed a Plug and Play device and your system does not fully support Plug and Play. If your modem has jumpers, you might try jumpering explicitly for the resources it should use, and this might clear up the error.

7 Posts

December 20th, 1999 14:00

David,

I am having the same prob. I am using a xps 200s (?). I installed a hard drive and a modem. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, it was the Hard Drive causing the prob. I spoke with Dell, they said everything from resetting the jumpers on the CMOS to flashing the BIOS. Could not flash b/c the program wouldn't work without the nvram. I am waiting on another response from them. My comp will boot properly once i press escape, but that gets annoying. Modem does have jumpers, but a little more specific instructions would be GREATLY appreciated.

7 Posts

will,

I am having the same prob. I installed a hard drive and a modem. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, it was the Hard Drive causing the prob. I spoke with Dell, they said everything from resetting the jumpers on the CMOS to flashing the BIOS. Could not flash b/c the program wouldn't work without the nvram. I am waiting on another response from them. My comp will boot properly once i press , but that gets annoying. You having the same prob?

7 Posts

David,

I am having the same prob. I am using a xps 200s (?). I installed a hard drive and a modem. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, it was the Hard Drive causing the prob. I spoke with Dell, they said everything from resetting the jumpers on the CMOS to flashing the BIOS. Could not flash b/c the program wouldn't work without the nvram. I am waiting on another response from them. My comp will boot properly once i press escape, but that gets annoying. Modem does have jumpers, but a little more specific instructions would be GREATLY appreciated.

7 Posts

will,

I am having the same prob. I installed a hard drive and a modem. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, it was the Hard Drive causing the prob. I spoke with Dell, they said everything from resetting the jumpers on the CMOS to flashing the BIOS. Could not flash b/c the program wouldn't work without the nvram. I am waiting on another response from them. My comp will boot properly once i press escape, but that gets annoying. You having the same prob?

7 Posts

will,

I am having the same prob. I installed a hard drive and a modem. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, it was the Hard Drive causing the prob. I spoke with Dell, they said everything from resetting the jumpers on the CMOS to flashing the BIOS. Could not flash b/c the program wouldn't work without the nvram. I am waiting on another response from them. My comp will boot properly once i press escape, but that gets annoying. You having the same prob?

7 Posts

David,

2 Posts

Willbonds,

I seem to be having the same problem. Last night I installed both a new hard drive and a new modem. I had been assuming that it was the hard drive. Now, I am second guessing this assumption. My computer seems to work fine once I press to tell it to boot. However, it is a pain to do so. I was on the phone with Dell for several hours. They had me do everything from move the jumpers to d/l a new bios, but neither worked. I am waiting on a response from them. Lets hope we figure something out.

2 Posts

Willbonds,

I seem to be having the same problem. Last night I installed both a new hard drive and a new modem. I had been assuming that it was the hard drive. Now, I am second guessing this assumption. My computer seems to work fine once I press to tell it to boot. However, it is a pain to do so. I was on the phone with Dell for several hours. They had me do everything from move the jumpers to d/l a new bios, but neither worked. I am waiting on a response from them. Lets hope we figure something out.

7 Posts

will,

2 Posts

June 9th, 2001 20:00

I am having the exact same problem. All I did was add an additional 64MB EDO 60ns SIMM memory to the two empty sockets. System originally came with 32MB.

System stalls after checking the presence of the 'A' drive. After waiting 5 minutes, the message NVRAM Data Invalid, NVRAM Cleared comes up.

I have been on the phone with a DELL technician two hours, moving jumper settings to clear the CMOS, changed the battery, etc. Nothing makes this problem go away.

Now I have to wait an extra 5 minutes and press the ESC key to boot after receiving the NVRAM Invalid message.

System is a Dimension XPS pro 200n w/ BIOS A06. System ID 958NB.

Anyone out there know how to fix this???

No Events found!