Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2008 11:00

New Dell question regarding HD capacity

I have a new Dell Inspiron 518 with 640 G Hard Drive.  When I started up it read 581G with 560G free.  I have not installed but two small softwares and have not transfered any files from my old computer.  10 days later, I am reading 581 G with 519 free or 80% free.  It seem that all I have to do is start the computer up and it looses drive space.  Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

3.7K Posts

December 28th, 2008 12:00

[quote user="msurvey"]Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

Hello msurvey, This is normal and you are reading it correctly.

As you use the system, this capacity will fall slightly for a while every time you use it.

The system will create System Restore Points, usually once every day, that consumes a small amount of the drive capacity, until it reaches a predetermined amount and then will start removing the oldest System Restore Points as new ones are created.

Hope this explains the issue and helps.

[/quote]

Hi, Also your WINSXS folder will use up to 9GB as well.

799 Posts

December 28th, 2008 12:00

Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

Hello msurvey, This is normal and you are reading it correctly.

As you use the system, this capacity will fall slightly for a while every time you use it.

The system will create System Restore Points, usually once every day, that consumes a small amount of the drive capacity, until it reaches a predetermined amount and then will start removing the oldest System Restore Points as new ones are created.

Hope this explains the issue and helps.

No Events found!