Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2003 17:00

Nikon Coolpix 2100 connecting to Dim 8250: USB device not recognized

I have trouble connecting Nikon Coolpix 2100 digicam to Dimension 8250 (Win XP Home/BIOS A02) which has VIA USB controllers. Everytime I try, I get the task bar error popup "USB device not recognized". I have tried the same camera with another generic desktop (Win XP Pro) and a Compaq notebook (Win 2000 Pro) with Intel USB controllers and they both work very fine.

I have updated the VIA Integrated USB 2.0 drivers from http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1072515 without success. Nkon Tech Support says this is known issue with VIA controllers for their Coolpix 2100/3100 cameras. The problem occurs on both USB Mass Storage and PTP connections.

Anyone knows a workaround for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

1.1K Posts

November 18th, 2003 17:00

vmtsys,

If they said it was a known issue and did not give you a work around or fix then  there probably isn't one.

I would try a PCI USB card to see if that would work.

551 Posts

November 18th, 2003 20:00

Not sure what type card your camera uses. I would use a card reader as the input device.

Some people do it by choice believing they are saving wear and tear on their camera.

I want to wear my camera out so I can justify buying the next bigger and better one.

But it might be the easiest solution for you.

14 Posts

November 19th, 2003 15:00

LittleAdvice and cyber_surfer, appreciate your input.

In fact I was leaning towards the card reader soultion 'cos it does transfers faster and saves battery too! (I like your wear 'n' tear idea so that I too can justify my next big thing purchase :)) I am specifically interested in Lexar RW018 USB 2.0 multi-card reader. Any experiences with using this device on 8250?

BTW, my camera uses CompactFlash cards. I am currently using two Lexar cards - 16MB 8x (supplied with camera) and 128MB 12x (Lexar is the make recommended by Nikon).

No Events found!