Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2009 20:00

No Audio on a Dimension 4700

No Audio on a Dimension 4700.

I've tried every driver on the support page even reinstalled OS and tried fresh driver install, nothing worked. Ran the Diagnostic Utility and got these Errors:

ERROR CODE: 1B22-016A      Primary codec is not ready.

ERROR CODE: 1B22-036A      Primary codec is not ready.

ERROR CODE: 1B22-0264      A timeout occurred while trying to access an AC'97 register.

ERROR CODE: 1B22-066A     

ERROR CODE: 1B22-076A

I'm guessing that's cause theres no driver installed.

The hard drive has been replaced due to a failure, so no recovery partition. And no I don't have the recovery disc. So, umm. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

Dell Dimension 4700

Win XP Home Edition

Intel ICH6 Audio with Unknown CODEC

AC'97 controller revision....: 03h

AC'97 controller I/O base....: E8C0h

Codec I/O base address.......: EC00h

IRQ..........................: 3 (03h)

: Service Tag removed per privacy policy >

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 03:00

The 4700, as with most Dell's, requires the installation of Intel (motherboard) chipset drivers during a new/reinstall.  If the chipset drivers are not installed many devices including the sound will not be recognized and/or the drivers will not find the device and will not install.  

As you have had the hard drive replaced and a reinstall, the chipset drivers would be the suspect.  On a new install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc. 

If the chipset drivers were missed they can be downloaded HERE   Install the chipset drivers then the listed Analog Devices sound driver.  In most cases that will take care of the problems, however in a few isolated cases a complete new/correct install is needed to get everything working.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 20:00

Well, still no luck, Have done everything advised, and then some. Is there anybody out there that has actually solved this problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 4th, 2009 09:00

Well, over the last 7 1/2 years I've fixed a lot of sound problems.  In every case where a hard drive was replaced and a new install done, unless there is a physical hardware problem on the motherboard (and the only way to fix that is to replace the motherboard) a correct install takes care of  sound driver problems.

I looked at the Dell downloads for the 4700 and I now see there is also "Desktop System Software" listed.  On systems that have the Dell Desktop System Software the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Desktop System Software (3) Install Intel chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc. 

However, "codec's" are not installed by device drivers.  They are either part of Windows, Windows Media Player or some other media player.  If it's ONLY a codec problem, download and install the free "K lite codec pack" and that will install every Codec you will ever need. 

If it is more than a codec problem, and the reinstallation of the chipset and sound drivers does not fix the problem (assuming it is not a motherboard hardware problem) it is probably going to take a complete and correct sequence install to fix it. 

What I've listed for installing or you can use the Dell Manual Install procedure  HERE

A complete reinstall is probably what you don't want to hear, but it may be what is needed.

No Events found!