Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2012 10:00

OSD or osd.exe

Why is it so hard to find a place to ask a question?  What is "osd.exe" and what does it do?  Do I really need this running all the time on my Inspiron One 2305?

72 Posts

January 27th, 2012 10:00

Wouldn't it have been faster to just type "osd.exe" into your favorite Web search engine?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 27th, 2012 12:00

It's a "tray application" called Onscreen Display, used by some OEMs (like Dell) for display multimedia (sound, keyboard, etc.) controls on the screen.

Whether you need it or not depends on whether you use the functionality. It sounds like you don't.

11 Posts

December 30th, 2012 06:00

@SDirickson - answers like this makes me wonder how worthwhile the dell forums are any more.  see below for an answer that may be of benefit.  of course it would have been faster, but most dell owners prefer to get answers from those more knowledgeable about the product they own instead of a spinwheel of off-the-wall comments.  that's why we take the extra time to come here to the forums provided by the manufacturer.  often, the response is positive and productive, even maybe leading to a usable answer/solution.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 30th, 2012 11:00

Hi Mike,

I think you'll find the veteran members of the forum take a different approach. At least I hope we do.

72 Posts

December 30th, 2012 17:00

Overlooking the value of going back and slagging on a posting from 11 months ago, I guess it's a work-ethic thing, or maybe the "teach a man to fish" situation. Providing positive reinforcement to "please give me the answer to a question I can't be bothered to try to answer myself" is, in my mind, a loss all around: the poster is then even less likely to try to learn how to answer their own questions, someone wastes his/her time answering an obvious question, and the forum gets another zero-value posting.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2012 04:00

I think we're getting a bit off track here, so....

No Events found!