Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 20th, 2017 09:00

(Optiplex 7010 Mini Tower, Win7Pro): USB Controller not installed, Need Resource ISO

EDIT: I've given up.  Longer explanation near end.  I would suggest that if you are having a similar issue as I am that you similarly give up on USB3/Win7/Optiplex 7010.

Original post:

I'll try to be as terse as I can to help:

0. [Assumption here is that next step is to create the Optiplex 7010 Mini Tower Resource disk or USB key from ISO file]

1. Had multiple BSOD's.  Minidumps showed from all over the place.  Reinstalled Win7Pro.  BSOD's stopped, but...

2. Device manager shows missing "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" driver:

3. The dell drivers and downloads page driver search utility identifies some drivers (including a chipset), I've installed them all (including BIOS to A24), but the above device *still* shows up missing.

4. When I use the Intel driver downloads, I got an immediate BSOD when it tries to scan the system (but not the first time).  Minidump looks like this:  (I'll gladly upload minidump itself if needed).  Note: I suspect that this is a possible red herring, because Intel drivers come with the caveat that they are *before* customizations by dell are made.  In any case, as near as I can tell nothing was installed by the Intel driver. Minidump:

Any help would be greatly appreciated as both I and my family are incredibly frustrated with this and I'm afraid that the frequent BSOD's will come back!

Thanks!!!

April 20th, 2017 10:00

Hi tgm1024,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We apologize for all the issues you have been facing in regards with our system.

While the information given by you is pretty clear, i would suggest you to update the chipset drivers from our support website Support.dell.com under chipset Intel chipset driver.

Link is given bellow.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Parnoshree C

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

Dell Support Videos 

Drivers and Downloads

43 Posts

April 20th, 2017 12:00

As I tried to make clear in #3 listed out, I already did install all of those drivers from that very page.

Do you have any other ideas I'm hoping?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Did you install all three items listed under Chipset on the Support page for this system? eg, Intel Chipset Driver, Intel Management Engine Components Installer, and Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver, and in that order?

I presume USB mouse and keyboard are working, so what other USB devices are connected?

If you disconnect all USB devices except M+K does that "Other Devices" error disappear from Device Manager?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

BTW:

What about the Dell System Software Utility, which is typically supposed to be the very first driver installed after a clean install, and ahead of the 3 chipset drivers?

And what about the Dell Smartcard USB Keyboard Driver?  

43 Posts

April 20th, 2017 14:00

Let me list the answers to your questions best I can:

1. The Device Manager remains unchanged when everything USB2 (including mouse and keyboard) is pulled off.  4 items total.  USB3.0 does not work.

2. . When I installed the devices that were scanned for in the driver page, simply had them all checked.  It then installed them in what I presume would have been the right order.

3. The Dell System Software Utility is an actual driver?  I did install that at one point, but I don't see evidence of it.  How can I verify it?

43 Posts

April 20th, 2017 15:00

I even tried reinstalling that chipset driver again, and it persists.

43 Posts

April 20th, 2017 16:00

And now there are these phantom slowdowns where the system becomes so bogged down that task manager can't even fire up.

Also, after I do *fight* my way onto task manager and sort by cpu, it's not showing hardly any usage at all.

No page faults to speak of (lots of memory)

Very little disk activity

Very little network

And very slow.  Is this (perhaps/likely/maybe) because of something low-level in the system not happy with the driver setup?

Very frustrating.

Can someone please show me how to make a dell resource disk from an ISO so that I can be armed with something the next time I reinstall?  I've burned ISO's (to both DVD & USB-flashdrives) before, but there seems to be no place that shows up on the search engine that allows me to get past the driver page (which clearly doesn't work for me).

Plan B is to hit this thing with a sledgehammer.  Y'know, strictly on principal.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 20th, 2017 17:00

You won't see any obvious signs of Dell System Software Utility having been installed but it is necessary. Dell typically uses DSS to customize things which are specific for the PC model that may not be directly supported by the OS.  

Maybe you have to bite the bullet, wipe the HDD and do another clean install. Have all the drivers available on a USB stick and install them in the right order after Windows is loaded:

1. DSS

2. Chipset

3. Management Engine

4. USB 3

5. Video (both Intel video plus driver for your video card, eg AMD Radeon HD7470, 7570, or 6670

6. Audio

7. Ethernet and WiFi

8. Smart card USB keyboard (if you have this kind of keyboard)

9. Other drivers

10. Windows updates...

Note: I wouldn't rely on the Support page to scan your system correctly to find all the right drivers. It can be buggy and sometimes misses essential drivers.  You do have to know what hardware you have (eg, video card and audio) to get the drivers manually.

And drivers don't always install themselves automatically. You have to double-click each driver.exe file. but sometimes all that does is unzip the file, so you have to pay attention to where the unzipped driver files got put, navigate to that folder and launch the setup.exe in that folder..

43 Posts

April 21st, 2017 10:00

I know about the occasional unzip-only .exe's.  The last time I tried to install that useless chipset driver was to unzip it and then attempt install by searching the folder from within the driver-update mechanism in Device Manager.

But with all those drivers you're talking about, shouldn't that entirely exist within the Dell Resource DVD for the Optiplex 7010 MT?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 21st, 2017 11:00

The driver versions on the DVD are probably way out of date, so best option is to download the latest versions directly from Dell's support page for this model.

BTW: Please either delete or change your sig line which the forum Moderators have censored - thank you.

43 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 18:00

Ok, so I did exactly what you said, and >boom<, BSOD *during* step 4 (Installing USB 3).

BTW, when I looked at the pci vendor and device codes within that pesky "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" device that I was talking about before, it is indeed the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host (whatever) driver, which is what I downloaded and installed during your step 4.  BSODville.

Question though that I find odd.  That management engine you mentioned.  It installed itself into the "Program Files x86" (32 bit) program section, and I am 64 bit.  I've noticed from time to time that some software that contain both 32 and 64 will install into the x86 area, but just to check the system type and then configure the run to be the 64 bit version.  Is that what's going on here?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 24th, 2017 11:00

You might try installing one of the earlier versions of the USB3 driver, eg A05

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Or go to the Intel site and let their wizard scan your hardware to see if it can find a suitable USB3 driver.

I wonder if you have a hardware problem with the USB3 controller..? If the system is under warranty, it might be time to contact Dell Tech Support, if either an earlier version or one directly from Intel site won't install...

43 Posts

April 24th, 2017 14:00

I tried the Intel driver scan already: no luck.

This was an inherited device from my wife's work.  I think I'll just move on and call it a day.  Looking around, the issues surrounding usb3.0 drivers seems to be fairly common, so I'm not at all sure what has happened here, but I sure am losing patience with it.

As is my family.

I'm going to roll over it with the car.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 24th, 2017 18:00

Aside from the USB3 is everything else working? In that case, just ignore the USB3 issue.

You might try reinstalling Windows. If this system has the Dell reinstallation partition on the hard drive, that would be easiest way, Reboot and press F8. Look for the option to restore the factory image.

Otherwise, maybe a clean install assuming you have a (Dell) Win 7 Pro+SP1 DVD.

The Dell image should install the drivers (but not the latest versions) but the clean install will require you to install all drivers.

Either way, you'll have to do all the Windows 7 updates...

Or nuc the hard drive with DBAN and either sell or recycle it...

43 Posts

April 25th, 2017 09:00

I've done installs already.  I'm going to possibly replace the mobo or use the acme sledgehammer repair.

QUESTION: If I replace the motherboard, the current windows7pro ISO on my USB key will no longer believe it's being installed on the same system.  Is there an easy way to reset it?

Thanks

No Events found!